Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Struggle



I struggled all day yesterday, and in fact I have been struggling all week and I really don't know quite what to do except to go through whenever I have to go through. Day before yesterday was when my issues of uncontrolled spasticity begin to-be significantly relevant. For the past couple weeks maybe months the pad on my left arm rest of my power chair has begin to disintegrate. Now I realize I am the big reason for the disintegration of is equipment piece. I rely on this piece heavily pull myself up to a sitting position after slouching in my chair or when spasticity slides me out of my chair. Typically, I can hook the back handle my chair and then pulling on my arm rest again set myself up to push myself back. I think in fairness to me last week I, under my own initiative, made arrangements and made appointment at Alpine Medical. Of course I was told they did not have the armrest and stock and then proceeded to do an inventory of what my chair seem to need. Again granted my chair is in pretty rough shape I should be taking better care of it but still I wasn't in the mood to be up sold on equipment I may or may not need just to meet my present need of the armrest. Anyway no armrest and was back out in public trying to maintain myself as independent as possible with damaged chair.

I finally have a major spasm while I was holding on to the arm rest and the spasm was so fierce I pulled the armrest from the arm of the chair, shattering the plastic base that held it to the bar on the armrest. They were jags a sharp plastic explosive this time. I was not an issue to me but sure freaked out physical therapy staff when they saw what happened. Actually it was K I K I the OT, who jumped on the occasion and wrapped up my jagged armrest with great redtape I did appreciate that. Later that same afternoon my right leg had spasmed out and I was struggling to pull it back onto the footplate and one of the new PT's actually stopped and asked if he could assist and I said yes. Now the best assist is to have the person I'm physically place 1 foot back of the foot plate. Now to me this is no big deal but I have come to realize many people on the outside don't like touching other people – – people are so weird. But anyway Mark the new PT assisted me in repositioning my foot and we made a funny little bond.

So yesterday I called Alpine medical to see if any movement had happened on my order. I didn't care about anything except the armrest of course, Which I was told was not in stock. Well, of course nothing had been ordered there always waiting for the insurance. I just want my equipment fixed and to get off my life. Well I was surprised when talking to the tech, who was not the person I spoke with earlier, that the piece I wanted was in stock and I could come down and he would install it . So that is exactly what I did and that is exactly what he did and he did not even charge me installation time which is totally different than any of my previous experiences with Alpine medical.

The equipment repair has not stopped my spasms but has allowed me to deal with the spasms a great deal better. I feel part of the problem is the angle are playing of my foot plate which I have damaged by digging the foot pedals into the crown of the street which sometimes do if I forget to tilt my chair back a little. This may help If s this repair happens at an affordable price.


I hope Something happens because quite frankly I'm exhausted and him the day pulling l myself back into my chair something got give. I'm getting tired just thinking of my day ahead.

No comments: