Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Snow Day Ponderings


Snow fell during the night, just as skiff but enough to make people cautious and overprotective. Today is kind of a weird day for me. Yesterday, was my usual day at 211. So I go in and a number of weird things happen. First, Liz, who is the new director type at 211 pulls me aside and tells me that because call volume has lowered or slowed that maybe I should think about not  coming  in on Tuesdays. I have been going in on Tuesdays for a couple hours until my meeting with Assist Inc . which starts at 11 o'clock. I advised Liz that I come in early on Tuesdays to kill time before my meeting. I like being down town early in the morning and being up and early.

So I returned my phone calls. I'm probably an hour into my calls when suddenly my computer station begins to the fail. Every time my phone rings  I received a sharp shrill sound in my ear. I had to go on  “ technical” to see if the IT guy could resolve the problem. Not long into this problem the floor lead pulls me aside and she tells me that if I did not want to come in on Tuesdays no problem. The frequency of calls are down so you don't need to come in. So I begin give her the same diatribe I gave to Liz. In the back of my mind I'm beginning to think maybe they don't want me here on Tuesdays. But I explained to the lead that I'm just killing time, she backs off insisting that it's okay she just wanted let me know if I didn't want to come in, no problem.

So the rest of the day these comments sort of festered in my head that by the time I got home I had resigned myself to the idea,” screw them” I don't need to waste my time on Tuesday mornings, low-frequency calls. I can sleep in and still going to me by assignment at System Inc. on the advisory board.

I called Dianne to let her know that I was probably coming home , she suggested that I go into Wellness that afternoon and work out then. Typically I am at 211 all day on Mondays. But because IT had not been able to resolve my computer problems, because IT could not resolve the problem with my computer, I was turned loose about 11 o'clock in the morning. I had all day so why not do wellness on a Monday?

 I had time to kill a couple of hours, so I figured why not go up to the University hospital and see what their volunteer needs might be. Maybe it is time to move on. So I jumped Route 2, up to the University hospital. I checked in with Volunteer Services, who gave me the lowdown and then I went to the cafeteria, what a great day!


Snow fell during the night, my Tuesday commitments evaporated, the day is cold and I am home enjoying this free day. Today I'm exploring options and writing my letters.Snow fell during the night and I'm enjoying my free day.

No comments: