Friday, November 01, 2013

Ramblings About Options

Wednesday was my light workout day at Wellness. On this day I supposedly do less heavy lifting which supposedly gives my muscles a rest. On this day I do the arm bike, I do my usual 30 min. plus cooldown and then I work with these colored bands which I stretch against an supposedly gives my arms a workout just not as heavy as with the weights. However I've noticed as I've gotten to the green band which seems to be a little harder to stretch against. I'm really straining my muscles. Wednesday I think I strained my AC joint on my left side which has been causing me some pain and difficulty to the point that I elected not to go in today and give my body a rest. I of course felt guilty for shirking my duty to my body and I kind of felt bad for the staff for not showing up but really they don't care that's okay. I am at wellness for me. So I'm using this day to rest .

So this posting dovetails with the last blog posting. I am wondering how much I use the Wellness program as a form of socialization and if I should develop this home gym like we are considering, I would probably go in less to Wellness and work more at home or at the Holiday Lions Recreation Center. DD has been researching the recreation center and we have both been impressed at how much the center has to offer especially for the amount of money involved. I am particularly interested in the recreation center since they have a very nice, heated pool which is majorly accessible. The recreation center is really not that far from our home 1015 min. Besides the pool the rec center also offers access to free weights, machine weights and even a quasi arm cycle. I'm not sure how much I would actually use the weights at this facility as much as I would use the pool.

What really surprised me when thinking about the alternative health options was that in spite of myself I think I would miss some of the old farts at Wellness. There are a number of fellows close tot my age that come in on a regular basis. I was not going to engage with these folks and just focus on my Wellness but that did not last long and I have gotten to know some of these folks and it's interesting. It's interesting to have other males my age with disabilities attending this program that I can actually communicate with if I so desire. I don't know how much I would want communicate with these guys or you see them on the social setting outside of Wellness but the option would be there and these are folks that I know now. They have become part of my orbit and social network.


We will have to see what happens in the next couple months and see if we actually follow through with the equipment we've been talking about. The drawback of such equipment is the footprint they will take up in the house. There is little room in the house as of this just for us but the opportunity is there now to be in control of my weight and muscle mass. It is not important how I maintain these items what is important is that I do it. Then, if I have to force myself to socialize that will have to be a hurdle that I forced myself to jump over. I cannot understate or overstate how important the wellness concept is to me right now. Wednesday was my light workout day and wellness on this dayOn this day I supposed to do less heavy lifting

No comments: