Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Yesterdays's Wait


Day two of Dianne's procedure just a update the procedure seems to have gone well. Dianne spent the night at the hospital and I finally the hospital a little after eight o clock. The was the end of a very long day for me.

The day started about 7:00 am, I actually was able to sleep in significantly compared to what time I usually get up so I was feeling OK. Dianne changed the dressing on my butt which continues to heal but ever so slowly. I just have to be careful I do not irritate wounds until she can get back on her feet and change dressings. We messed round the house, drying and folding clothes, washing dishes and killing before check in. We next drove over an filled my van with gas and finally ended up going over to Thrift Town, an interesting block of stores: second hand stores and close out deal stores. This place always amazes me—great prices for items I pay lots more for at traditional markets. I am going to return and purchase a couple of case of items I really enjoy like corn beef hash.

Dianne and I finally get to the hospital right at 12:00. Dianne gets some directions and we begin our wait. We are finally told that she will be called in about 1:00 and we are cool with that. 1:30 comes and nothing happens and then 2:00m and we are getting a little pissed. Dianne is trying to remain up beat and not freak out looking down the barrel of a real operation plus she has been NPO( with out food) since mid-night and this can make any one cranky. Plus we are able to hear all the goings on at the front desk, where a gaggle of less then professional nurses and CNAs keep chattering about the patients who are also patients of the same doc that we have seems to be getting services while we just sit there looking stupid. Finally at 2:30 pm still nothing happening I start doing the huff and puff and asking to speak with the head nurse about what the hell was going on. The nurse reports that our doctor has run into problems and is still working on an operation.

Not long after that brief confrontation we are approached by two lads in green—these guys are from the company which make the nerve blocker which is to be implanted. They’re sales geeks looking like and sounding like docs. They give me the song and dance about what will be happening in the operation and what will happen after the operation and when the device can be operated. Time now was about 3:00 pm and after visiting with the two corporate joy boys we felt these were going to start happening but nope…Dianne was finally taken in about 3:30. I was dismissed until when the operation is done. I was starving by this point so I booked across the street to Marie Calendars’. I ended up getting the same dinner I did a couple weeks ago: turkey and dressing. The dinner was great.

Bridget called round 7:30 and Dianne had just been moved to recovery and was still a bit goofy but coming round fast. They assigned a room to her and I went up to the fifth floor to wait. Dianne finally showed up. I had spoken with Dr. Pingree who assured me everything was OK. In fact when I was united with Dianne she actually was up and walkng. We ended up walking a lot round the unit for the remainder of the time I was there. Dianne seems to be doing great. I was exhausted but OK. I went home and watched the news and went to bed. Hopefully I can bring Dianne home today

No comments: