Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Porches and Jerks

I truly believe durable medical vendors(DMVs) are modern day versions of horse traders, DMVs are comparable to used car salesmen. I have had to deal with these folk all of my disabled life. Some times you like these folks but most of the time the are just jerks that seem to be making lots of money of you and your friends.
Last year when I was in my Physical Therapy regimen at University hospital I was having to deal PT’s, Insurances and DMVs all at one tine. I was pleased that the DMV was also the same vendor my insurance currently supported. At one of PT sessions I mentioned to my PT that the company rep drive a Porche 911, my PT refused to believe me. He felt a DMV could not afford such a vehicle. I could not believe his naiveté—everyone knows DMVs gouge its like sort of expected. My therapist eventually cornered the DMV asked him straight out did he drive a Porche.

I was told that the porche I saw the DMV driving the day I was at his store was not the DMVs but his boss the owner of the operation. I took the explanation with a grain of salt but did less razzing of this one particular DMV. So today I finally have started the process to get my new batteries and I placed the call to the vendor asked for the one salesman , I know, who handles the university P.T. clients. Who is not there and the person on the phones asked me what I needed. I identify my self and tell him what I needed. It seemed to me the changed significantly after he found out who was. He was not menacing about the information but he informed me that he was Joe—the company owner and indeed he had let the salesman in question drive his car---the Porche the day in question. What could I say? I had to play the game in order to get the upgrade on my power chair. But, I could tell this goose was trying to put me in my place.

So Joe is a jerk, so am I for that matter, and I am going to have to deal with Joe even if it is through Joe’s underlings. I still believe durable medical vendors deal in a weird form of extortion a the DMV holds us wheelchair users over a barrel and that is just the way that it is. I fully expect to get my batteries and maybe some more tires if I am rally lucky. I may have to grovel for a bit but I the end I will prevail. I usually do.

No comments: