Sunday, November 28, 2010

RedBox Sunday

The promised snow finally moved into the valley and has been snowing all day which is fine with me since for the snow to fall the temperatures has to warm up a little. The temperatures have been quite cold all week long so cold in this area that people actually got spooked and started shutting down schools, universities and even places of work. My boss actually sent me home last Tuesday which I thought was a little bit over reactionary. But today the now started to fall. I have shoveled the ramp with the help of my neighbor this morning and now the ramp looks as if it needs to be shoveled again and the white stuff is still falling, not heavy but steady.

I just returned about an hour ago from returning the Redbox movies I rented yesterday. I really like the whole Redbox experience, renting the disc for just $1.00(usually) being able to return the rental to any of the Redbox outlets which in my area are three and the fact I can return them anytime in the twenty-four hour period. If there is a draw back it is one does have to return the rental the next day. Returning the item does not seem an issue when rented but comes the light of a new day and even though returning the product is not a big deal...it is.


So in today's snow storm I had to do the deed.--actually I could have saddled up and driven the van toc the 711, Micky D's or market but seemed like too much work and Dianne volunteered to drive me to one of those locations which again, seemed a little over kill just to return and deep down I think wanted to risk the adventure of driving my power chair up to the 711, in the snow to see if I could actually successfully navigate the neighborhood in this kind of snow. I had a full charge and the will, so why not?


The plows had been working the snow fall all morning,I had noticed which I think I a double edged sword: the streets would be cleared down to the pavement but the plows push huge quantities of snow into then drive way and curb cuts making getting into and out of the street almost impossible. But I felt the snow was still new and slushy and as long as I kept full head of steam I should be able to doze my way through and the fact that this is Sunday traffic would be limited unless I got caught in the time church lets out and the local Mo heard stampedes home to their roast beef and mashed potato dinner. Dianne bundled me up with stocking cap, yellow winter coat and gloves and out I blasted. I went down to the neighbors, who I know does an extra good job of removing the snow from his driveway into the street and I was gone. I immediately noted the snow was deeper then I had anticipated even on those part of the streets the plows had graded. I slipped and slided but kept forward momentum and soon I was at the 711 my closest Redbox. There to my disappointment and concern the Box was “Out of Order making necessary to cross State street.

State street the main drag through Murray and well traveled was clear but wet and I realized none of the sidewalks had been clear of snow add to this the piles of snow caused by the plows I was getting a little spooked. The only was I was going to be able to get to McDonalds was to travel a half a block North and enter through the DRIVE THRU driveway. I sat in the middle of the street and waited for the light to turn green then bolted cross the State street. I blasted through the embankment caused by the plows and I good. In a few moments of slipping and fishtailing I made it up to the door and as in side. I fed the DVDs into the Redbox and warmed up a bit and then bolted for home.

I noticed as I on my gloves and adjusted my cap under my coats hood that my wheelchair's power level was at 79 percent—I had used far more power then I had anticipated, the snow depth ate much more power then I thought and I did have my cell phone so if I drained out of energy I could call and Dianne could rescue me if needed.

But I made it. Wet and a little chilled and with 60% of my charge I plowed through to the neighboor's drive way and was home free. Al was still out clearing snow from his driveway and we chatted for a moment and then I cruised home and up the ramp( which needs cleared, again) and into my warm home to begin turkey chili and finish the rest of my holiday weekend.

No comments: