Saturday, September 21, 2024

Virges

 



Today was one of those pristine last days of summer first of fall Saturdays clear, cool but not cold, beautiful blue skies just a few clouds makes a person want to get something done or enjoy something outside. I wanted to get something for the weekend to be sure so I decided to go to the market. Right across from my apartment complex, I think I've talked about it before, there's an Arctic Circle it's the only really fast food joint around the place. I wish they made a better hamburger than they do but we will do in a pinch. Anyway, I went out back down the sidewalk and threw the fence slash gate to the main road which is Redwood Road and which is right across from Arctic Circle. I don't know what it was or how it carried the way that it did but in the cool Autumn air but the hamburger Grease came directly across the street and into my nostrils clearly activating the Wayback machine to move me instantly through history to the old grease joints that made the best hamburgers ever. I'm sure it was the grease that I smelled today from the Arctic Circle but I had that nice fried smell odor. I've learned the hard way that if I had to run over there right now and Order a burger of what I would get is a piece of meat that tasted kind of like what I wanted it to taste like what would basically be cardboard in my mouth it seems. Maybe I'm being too brutal but it's true at least this joint the order is different than the actual product. Down the street however five or six blocks there is a hamburger joint called Five Guys that puts out a pretty decent burger. Kind of tastes like the old burgers but it's much juicier and flavorful then the Arctic circles burgers and many of the other burgers that are out there now. It's a great burger for the time but it's not the hamburgers I remember from the late 50s or at least '60s which is a dog on shame. I've had my burger allotment for the week I don't dare have another one as much as I would like. I downloaded the McDonald's app to my cell phone a couple days ago and have not yet really figured out how to use it. I talked to my caregiver who knows everything about apps and things like that she tried to explain to me the system but I'm just going to have to do it myself. In fact where I got off the bus today was right across the street from the McDonald's here in Taylorsville and I really wanted to come across the street and use my app and my cell phone to order a burger pay for it and consume it without ever visiting with the staff from McDonald's. I didn't do that maybe next week or sometime this coming week who knows? Right now I still have things to do before I sleep and tomorrow morning early I am up and meeting the kids over for breakfast at the D's restaurant which never has a very good breakfast but it's filling and it's a reason for us to get together and visit and that's the whole purpose. I'm going to suggest that we take in virg's one of these days just to get some diversity in our Sunday morning breakfasts…

No comments: