Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Fragile

Sunday we bought an edger from Sears. A Craftsman edger, the entry model, orange and lots of plastic, the cheapest priced unit they had for edging your yard. The grass has been creeping all over the driveway and the sidewalks almost out of control so it was time to invest in another piece of equipment. Of course the tool comes in pieces and assembly is required. But Dianne had the edger put together and ready to go when I go home. The unit is fairly light weight to the point where maybe I could use it but I would not hold my breath. In fact the unit is so light weight I was not sure the edger would be able to cut through the thick growth on our sidewalks but was pleasantly surprised when we plugged the unit in and Dianne was soon making a fine edge next to sidewalk. The weather is hot in Salt Lake now in the nineties and the ground had dried hard and produced a great cloud of dust as Dianne pushed the edger along the walks.

My job was follow along Dianne and every few feet reach over with my rake and pull the cut grass away from the edger which I was able to do fairly well. I must admit for the little Craftsman entry level edger the little bugger did a great job. Following the edging ofcourse was the clean up which means sweeping all the ct grass into piles to put into the trash and we do have push-broom and that was my job a well. I made piles and piles of cut grass and dust.

I cannot believe it by the time I had finished the job I was feeling a sever pain in my right shoulder. Somehow, had actually pulled something doing physical labor. I medicated up when I went to bed and I was able to get up this morning, get dressed and out the door, independently but just barely and I have gotten by all day at work. The pain is still there but not as bad as this morning or last night. I plan to take it easy to night and send the pain away-I still can not believe that little amount of work almost debilitated me. I need to get stickers on me “Fragile handle with care”

No comments: