Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Myth Maker

This an image of an old friend, friend yes but more of an acquaintance, his name is Dennis and he is quite bit older then I. His younger brother Kim was my age but as long as I can remember I was always aware of Dennis. Dennis was raised on a farm out in the South East end of Boise. In the farm country which was fast being returned in to Suburbia. Dennis went to the same church as I so I seemed to see a lot of him. In summer we swam at the Twin Bridges—the bridges spanned the Ridenbaugh Canal an irrigation ditch which wound its way through Ada county. Many hot lazy summer afternoon were spent on the rough wooden bed of the bridge bringing youth of the South East side to hang out and try to be cool. I was not a teenager and my main mode of transportation was by bike . The teenagers got to the bridge by truck or car-all style and show. If there was a King of the Bridge it was Dennis. In fact there is an early mention of Dennis and the bridge from a couple of years and a famous Twin bridge fight. Dennis the warrior. Dennis also has some notoriety as a high school varsity wrestler. Dennis very well could have been King.

Dennis popped up on Face Book not long ago and of course, I immediately “friended” him and he did the same for me. I was interested to note that Dennis was also living close to me is South Salt Lake County. We chatted and of course we talked about hooking up but nothing has happened until this week when Dennis pushed the idea of getting together and having no reason not to agreed and tomorrow we are on. So, jut for fun I have been doing some research on this guy. He looks to be conservative, local culture, he is self employed and “loving it”--I am sure he is something out of Ayn Rand. Dennis bills himself as an Appreciation marketing coach...as a man thinketh etc.

So now I'm a little spooked at what I may have gotten myself into. Once in college my then and I wife were so desperate for friends we accepted an invitation from another young couple only to be AMWAYED right after dinner with something”wonderful” they wanted to share with us. So I m wondering if the lunch is going to turn into a “come on” to be a cog in some multi-level program on becoming you best self. Either way I plan to use the time with Dennis to catch up with someone from my own history, compare POV and maybe just generate a more perfect myth.


No comments: