Monday, January 21, 2013

Changes




The days continued to be bone chilling cold, so-cold that I don't even go outside if I don't have to. I don't get dressed just a in the computer room dictate letters and blog entries with the heat turned up as high as I can justify. DD has been deathly sick so we haven't done much on this holiday weekend. That's okay I have sort of enjoyed just being inside and hanging out. The little reading on my Kindle and the little cooking mainly just enjoying the time off and what my retirement will bring. I have been keeping an eye on DD to see if she worsens to the point where we must seek medical intervention but for right now she seems kind of stable she's resting and hopefully that will turn the trick as we return to the real world tomorrow.

It's hard to believe that I am less than a month from my retirement date. Retirement is just now beginning to sink in. Retirement seems a little spooky as the event becomes more and more real. I'm glad I've elected to at least volunteer one day a week at United Way answering phones. I have informed 211 that I will volunteer Monday's. Monday's is the heaviest call traffic day and I think that would be the best help I can be for them. It will help me to in that going to work or volunteer to give me up, dressed and out the door and doing something productive. I fear if I don't I'll just hang around the house become lethargic and complacent. I'm hoping that Monday volunteer day will give me enough momentum to keep me charged an active the rest of the week. I realize I'm going to have to take some responsibility and just in some physical therapy of one form or another. Perhaps I will get involved in that University crip program can see what it does for me at least maintaining my weight is not losing some weight. I may even have to look at finding some sort of part-time job that would bring a few extra dollars in.I think there are things I could do which would not be all time-consuming and keep me focused on giving back to the disabled community. I think my talents and disabled counseling is one of my strong points. We'll have to see. Right now I seem to be in relative good health and I must maintain this at all costs. I can see how easy it is to go downhill and why some folks do this after retirement. I pray I will not be one of those who give up after their work life has finished. I really do admire those folks who seem to be able to enjoy their Second Life – – granted, these folks also did well, planned well so they would have ample healthcare and funding to enjoy their retirement, really enjoy as opposed to just surviving. I have good people in my life, I have a great wife, great kids home, neighbors and adequate access to private and public transportation. We do not live an exorbitant life style and I'm hoping we will be happy maintaining what we have and that we can maintain what we have. Change is the only constant in the sooner I embrace this concept the happier I think I shall be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark! Take it from a retiree of almost two years now, retirement is a welcome change from a near lifetime of regimented work.

I think all of your suggestions in this blog are right on. Volunteering will help a great deal in transitioning from work to retirement.

I would especially encourage you to commit to the physical therapy. This will make big improvements in your overall quality of life. The stronger you are the better.

Tom and I are hoping to make it down to SLC this winter. Hopefully, we can get together for another lunch. Take care and congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I'll be thinking of you on Feb. 2. John

Meadowlark's Mind said...

As always thank you for your insights --looking forward to seeing you...best