Saturday, March 16, 2013

Senior Thoughts




Finally, the temperature really feels like spring, fairly clear skies just a little wind and promise of a warm day.Dianne had Asher duty today so I had Dianne drop me off at the Sprout market—local natural food type market. Last week I made a pretty good stirfry using some vegetables Dianne picked up a couple days earlier. We both enjoy fresh vegetables and cooking fresh and after last week's dinner we sort of made a commitment to start eating better I. E. More Asian cooking. Asian cooking is not a problem for me I enjoy the process meal prep and the results and hopefully the meal is just better for us. So today I picked up fresh vegetables and nuts to use in making stirfry for tonight. I contemplated taking the bus back to my stop but the day being so nice I decided I would motor on home and window shop along the way.

The Murray heritage center is the local senior center and just happens to be on the way back sprouts market so I decided what the heck today I will check it out. Now I've been in the center before that was for work related reasons—I think I did a couple information fairs there. But I never got in the center as a senior so I figured why not see what it's all about. This was weird. I was surprised to see how busy the place was. I've noticed a number of vehicles in the parking lot and figured that since it was around 12 o'clock they would be serving lunch. They were serving or just finished in the place was crowded with doing daresay seniors. Real seniors kind that I figured would be there was just shock to see so many white haired folks in spandex,knit pants and white shoes. There were walkers and wheelchair folded in the corner and a lot of hustle and bustle. Again, I was shocked to see so many staff besides the seniors in the building. There was an information desk staffed with two volunteers who welcomed me. I picked up a monthly schedule of events and cruised the area. There is one large room filled with people playing bingo which somehow made sense. Another large room was filled with folks doing some form of crafts which also makes sense. I pass another smaller room filled with seniors sit in front of laptop computers. This was the first promising scene I had encountered. I stayed a few minutes longer then fled like a ninja. I don't know what I expected, I thought I would've found a few more folks closer to my age and not many ancients. I really feel I will be out of place or well be out of place when I return. But I do plan to return and see how place fits me and just see how I can make the place fit my needs.

I know this is a senior community center and I know there are a lot seniors who were here before me but life is change and this isn't your dads Oldsmobile any more...

No comments: