Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Struggle!




What a challenge! I am really trying to maintain a positive attitude as I wandered down this bizarre rabbit hole of trying to one fix my broken chair and in 2 begin the process of acquiring a brand-new manual wheelchair that will fit me and be a joy to use. Thank goodness D D has led the battle on both fronts: chair repair and new chair acquisition. I am always amazed how people get trapped in minutia on a simple request. I just want my broken manual wheelchair repaired, as quickly as possible. I would be double pleased if the chair honors its warranty and replace the part at no charge but what's important to me right now is to have that piece of equipment fixed as quickly as possible. I just called National Seating and Mobility to see how the progress of the chair repair was going and of course silly Sarah seems to delight in letting me know she is the gatekeeper of knowledge regarding my chair. Essentially nothing is being done and tell a decision by Sunrise Medical renders a decision of whether or not to honor the warranty they've already indicated they would. In the meantime I am having to hobble around in a solid frame para-chair. Again, thanks to my beautiful wife, we have made the chair a bit more usable by raising the front end by one notch while lowering front-end making transfers a bit easier both to be onto and off of the commode and out of bed in the mornings. Of course by raising the foot pedal I change my whole reality just a little and that little makes all the difference. I was noticing this morning while trying to get dressed how difficult this one adjustment made in the “ standing” to pull my pants up. I was able to achieve the task but was more difficult. We had to raise the foot bar because the flooring the front and of the wheelchair made me gouge the floors and made even the smallest transition from one level to the next a major challenge. So now the floors are safe and I'm under my own power once again.

Of interest to note when D D dropped off my broken chair they send with her a solid frame, 18 inch wide, chair for me to use. When I saw this yesterday afternoon after work I was hopeful but alas when transferring into the chair I found chair totally usable for my needs. Once again, I was using, the huge solid frame I got from Create a couple years ago. We call this chair the green chair even though the chairs rickety and somewhat difficult to use, the chair is usable as gets me by. Today is Tuesday I wonder how much longer I shall have to wait. Tomorrow I am scheduled to meet with my rehab team who will fashion a letter for my MD to sign which will, hopefully push my insurance provider to allow me a new manual wheelchair. It should not be this difficult.

No comments: