Saturday, April 13, 2013

Taking Control



I've talked in the past about my fear of losing Independents which is natural, anyone including me, as they age is going to lose independence is a natural fact. So I feel is a person with disability I'm rather scrutinized closer than other folks without disabilities. So any time I look like I'm losing the ability to care for myself I began to get nervous real nervous. Such was the case this last week when attempting to transfer myself from my manual wheelchair to the power wheelchair something happen and before I knew it I was on the floor playing on my back looking at the ceiling.

Again in the past when I would fall out of my chair ,for one reason or another, I could actually physically pull myself back into my chair. Actually, it's more of a function of climbing back in my chair but the point is I can do it myself by myself. I can't do that anymore to fat are two week are elements of both. So I'm laying on the floor looking at the ceiling wondering what the hell am I going to do now. DD rushed into the computer room as soon as I yelled I was going down but there is nothing that could be done I was gone I was on the floor. I mentally sifted through my alternatives: call Gabe, call Mark A, call Dan the neighbor called 911. Neither of these options seemed desirable. The most logical was to call on family I. E. Gabe or Mark A. We did check to see if Dan's vehicles that is house that was a no go in unto spoke to call 911 is a something in the back of my mind that says if you call them too many times they, 911 or aging services puts you on the fast track to long-term care, nursing home. I called Mark A but he was at work and would not be off for at least an hour. Dee Dee called game got a hold of him who is able to break free from husband duties for a few minutes came over through me back in the chair easy as pie. Thank goodness for children are able to come at a moments notice and help out. We're indeed blessed and fortunate. So we are able to dodge the bullet this time but DD and I sat down, well I was already sitting down, had a hard discussion on what was to be the next step. We did it! We purchased an all electric lift, a left that should allow DeeDe to be able to pick me up off the floor, if need be, and get me back to a wheelchair of some sort. We have spoken about getting such a device numerous times over the past couple of years but have never made the next step. The trauma of the days events was about to push us out of denial. DeeDe jumped on the Internet and before you knew it had found the left which was actually shipped the next day we think. In any case it took a week for us to get our hands on the device that we have it now and it's pretty exciting. We have not tested the device yet but can already see how the left is going to help us stay in place hopefully for years to come. I've excited because the lift comes with a built-in scale, I think it accurately weighed that's pretty exciting and hopefully will motivate me to lose more weight.

I am even excited to the point that I'm willing to explore other options of assistive technology that could greatly assist me in my day-to-day living. I have always not really considered investing in these kind of devices, tools that stupid. We are at point right now where we can afford purchases that we don't often consider. I'm willing to give it a review. I deserve a break.

No comments: