Sunday, June 02, 2013

Another Scrape on the Wall



It's the end of May and once again I neglected my blog but the upside is that I have been busy very busy and I guess that's an excuse as best I can do today. I have been faithfully attending the Wellness program. I think this program is doing me some this. I was a little concerned at the beginning because I didn't think I was being challenged enough. However, my main trainer has been done on vacation for two weeks and Stephen the replacement trainer's been very good. Essentially I have been much more directed in my own exercise. Before, even though I was committed to the project, I was doing work for the trainer and not really for myself. This is changed, I now have really bought in to the idea that I'm there for myself in any work I do is for me and for some reason that makes all the difference.
Wellness is just that working to be as well as I can be. I know this sounds corny but it's true. I try to be the first one there on the afternoon workout. I am beginning to identify and feel like I'm part of a group. This is also corny but it's how you feel. I'm getting used to seeing other people with disabilities some similar to mine working out and taking control of their lives in some small way. I'm also beginning to feel that making inroads with members of the staff which is a small thing but makes me feel good. The staff: physical therapists andaids produce an interesting hierarchy of service and tension I find fascinating. The two aids I have worked with both share a goal to be more than physical therapy aides. Both of these physical therapy aides are working to enroll in physical therapy school with the end goal of Becoming physical therapists. I get the impression they really hate the role of being an a in physical therapy. I've seen them kind of being mistreated and second-classes by the other Pts. It's just interesting. The wellness program I sense is being driven by one of the PT's will call Kristen. She's young but has a doctorate in physical therapy clinics are one of the gods of the room. She's nice enough but has a real mean streak or need for control. A few days ago while working out I saw her walk past a wall that had been damaged by someone's wheelchair most likely a power chair. She became more than irritated not full-blown angry but focused on finding out who had done the damage. I'm sure it was not me but I sure have been guilty in the past of damaging walls. I watched Kristen intergate various individuals mostly aids and inquire if they know who did the damage. No one fessed up. But I could feel a thick oppression fill the room. It was not pleasant and I dialed down the speed of my chair.







No comments: