Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Watch Your Wheel




Some days are just more physical than others. The only real item I had on my agenda today was an appointment with Standard Optical for an eye exam to get a new prescription for glasses. I made the appointment for 10 o'clock figuring I would have enough time to get dressed and get up to the corner catch my bus and get to 5300 S.

I was lucky I rolled in a few minutes before 10 o'clock. The office was all but deserted except for three employees sitting in the back of the office. Employees seemed locked some sort of bickering debate as I rolled in. The oldest male was disheveled say the least bit overweight, there was an overweight female who may have been the receptionist seemed to delight in doing the opposite of anything the male asked. The third individual somewhat younger tending towards obesity location dressed in a black suit and white shirt and skinny tie. The entire batch looked like losers from an optometry game show. However, they did stop arguing long enough to sign me in and have me fill out the information that they asked me over the phone the day before. That done it was time to get me into the exam room or more specifically the exam chair. I have to admit a cynical as I am, I am usually ready for just about anything that deals with disability. I have to admit though I was sucker punched by the fact the exam chair of course bolted to the floor did not spin their turn it was fixed in the forward position to the eye exam materials. What followed was a Marx Brothers routine and getting me out of my power chair and perched on the exam chair. The exam chair of course was slick Naugahyde and I could barely keep myself inside the chair. I really thought I was going to slide out and I was dead. It was during this time that Queen Joan entered the room, Queen Joan is the O D and she rules. Queen Joan is nice but it's definitely a step above the rabble trying to serve me in the chair. There was questionable if I was going to even be able to test right for the eye exam. Long story short I think we are able to pull it off, the eye exam but it was difficult and took true creativity.

I left Standard Optical eyes fully dilated with Windows weird black plastic sunglass things they see seniors wearing long after the senior has anything to do with the optometrist. The senior thinks it's cool. I mean you could use these devices is welding goggles the plastic is that dark and difficult to see through. But I left dilated to the bright afternoon sun. I had the time so I figure for the heck and decided to visit Murray public library during nice facility not far from the optometrist's office. I was okay crossing the road, I was okay navigating my way into the library which was much darker than the outside and it took my granny shades off. I was okay, I could see and I spent some time looking around the library. I'm quite interested in seeing how I might be able to use the library and I Legacy project. So I was interested in a row of rooms off to the side of the children's pit. Turns out this short row of officesbelong to staff. Having noted this I turned my chair to my left and then literally fell off the floor and into the children's pit!The events happened so quicklyall I can remember was “oh no!”and knowing I was going down and wondered what was going to happen to me. I am amazed at how much the human body is like a bag of cement whenever I get the floor. There I was on the floor and thank God the power chair actually rolled over me not over me but over me it didn't touch me as it went over my body. I still haven't figured this out but I'm not questioning.

Immediately one of the librarians ran out of her office and asked if I was okay, I was of course but there's no way I was getting back in my chair by myself and we ended up calling Murray fire department who dispatched three paramedics take care of the downed grandpa. I was pleased that the crowd did not form. Paramedics were great asked all right questions, held my pants on and lifted me into the chair. The chair seemed okay. I seemed okay just a little rug rash on my shoulder. I left as soon as I could. I caught the bus home kind of freaked out usually I bounce pretty good, I recover pretty good but this time I was spooked. I'm still a little spooked over how safe I am? But I am going on with my life hopefully I will get a chance to live much longer. I was glad that and this challenging day.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

My goodness! Whew - so glad you weren't hurt.