Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The City Never Sleeps Nor Do I




The city is so weird at 2:15 am. We had the streets to ourselves as we cruised to St Marks. My body had been racked with the worst spasms I have ever endured all night long. The spasms had been getting worse all week. I had missed work and I had missed blogging I was even surprised t find my blog updates had been missed as well. I was actually getting frightened as my body was being thrown all over our bed. Dianne agreed with me that it was time to do something about it.

I had been coughing earlier in the week—really nothing I thought was too bad but I was also all of the sudden too tired to get into work and this never happens. I thought I was exhausted after participating on a panel discussion at a local rich kid college. I was not. I has picked up something. And now what ever I had picked up was beating me up all over the bed. Literally. I felt I was in the middle of a Stephen King novel.

Dianne was great! She got me up and pulled on Grandmother Smith's red sweat pants, one of my Turn Em Loose fish tee shirts, a blue hoodie and my slip on shoes and then we were out the door in the morning snow storm which was five or six hours late getting to Salt lake. The snow flakes seemed as large as tennis balls but the flakes disappeared as soon as they hit the warm pavement, no accumulations regardless of what Fox News promised. Only a few cars were on the streets and I marveled at what houses in our neighborhood had their lights on at a quarter past two in the morning. Interesting these were all Old Guy houses. Sitting up I had no pain but I was exhausted for no sleep. When we got to the Emergency Room they took us, filled out the paper work and seemed somewhat friendly but not too. They asked questions, pulled blood and had me pee into a free catch bottle. They wanted to cath me. I was not ready for this after watching House last night. I have never been able to tolerated being catheterized and it did not want to be cathed this morning. They made a deal that if they could find what they wanted with the sample I provided they would not cath me. They did not catheterize me! After four mosterous hours they turned me loose indicating I had only half the platelets I needed ,a UTI and a promise I would see my primary care provider with in 24 hours. It was a little after 7:00 am and they did not give me any samples for the UTI and the pharmacy would not be oped till 9:00.

We crashed for a couple of hours and Dianne got me into to a doc by 10:30.we went straight to the doctor's office and they took ,me right in! The doc was not my usual doctor, who has a broken collar bone and was swamped. But this doc was great-talked to me and Dianne explained things were not as bad as I thought they were and that I was basically OK. We got a new more powerful scrip got it filled and I got some rest this after noon. I may even go into work tomorrow. Boy that was frighteningly close.

No comments: