Sunday, March 11, 2007

Spring's Here but Dog Gone



Ginger is in the slam! She was busted at some time Friday afternoon while Dianne and I were at the movies. We had left Ginger in the back yard, the day was nice: spring like. There was no reason the dog should be locked up in the house while we are gone for who knows how long. We did not think anything of her being outside, actually as Dianne and I were traveling from the theater to my brother’s home (see yesterday’s blog) Dianne suggested that we maybe should check on the dog. I nixed the idea think Ginger would go crazy if we happened by the house. So, we traveled on over to my brother’s place. When we got home, later that evening, we had a notice from the city Animal Control that Ginger was in custody. It looked like she got popped about 4:00 pm. The document further indicated she was found wandering round our yard. The document listed a regular number plus an emergency number to contact the “Control” and collect your beast. Dianne of course called the number but we did not get an answer it being well after 5:00 p m. So, we are just waiting for Monday morning to roll along and see what we have to do next to get our beast back.

We are not sure what happened or how Ginger got out. Dianne found the side gate to the backyard and has speculated that maybe some of the neighbor children may have opened the gate to play with the dog and she escaped. I am not sure but that may have happened. I kinda of feel that the dog is smart and I have seen her trying to open the lever handled doors to the backyard. I can see Ginger doing the same thing with the gate to the backyard. I was visiting with Albert, my neighbor, and he sort of agrees with me with the dog letting her own self out theory. Regardless the dog is gone the house is quiet, the doors are open letting the great day in and the house odors of the winter and the dog out. Truthfully it has been a petty nice weekend with the pooch gone. Maybe we should ‘kennel’ her a couple weekends a month. Hum something to ponder.

I wonder what kind of dog we are going to get back. She will probably have kennel cough at least and who know what habits she has picked up while “inside”. You have to remember she still has the collar on to keep her from licking her incision. So, I am sure Ginger will be isolated by the ‘tough dogs’ in the slam for good reasons. She is so young the other dogs probably referred to her as the ‘pup’ and hopefully will show her the ropes at least till we can spring her tomorrow.

And Spring is here today. A beautiful day in the neighborhood; I talked to my neighbor. The day is cool but definitely Spring.

No comments: