Friday, March 30, 2007

Hunting in Vein

I have finally made it into office since the first day of this week. I finally made it into the office about 9:30 this morning. Dianne was not all that happy that I came in but what could I do.


Wednesday morning at my medical providers office they wanted me back in their clinic for a final blood pull and urine check. They said it would be best of this was done first thing Friday morning so that if anything “showed up” the doc could call me in before the weekend and get everything taken care of. I also welcomed the early appointment to have a reason to be up and showered and dressed and be ready for work.

Since the doctors office did not even open till 8:00 a.m, I slept in till 6:00 and got ready and out the door. The morning was cold and overcast but there was a promise of Spring. Of course my shoes fell off as I transferred from my power chair to my drivers seat—to be expected but frustrating. I had thought about stopping to fill up the van but I was still over a half a tank so I blew off the fill-up until later this weekending. I was a little spooked at having to drive, especially using the Interstate during “rush” but I handled the drive like a pro.

The Family practice on the Rim seems to me to be a high end medical delivery system. Nice parking, lots of designated parking spots with busy practices. You know their staff are herding consumers through like cattle but you get the impression these folks care. My doc part of a larger practice, in fact as I indicated in a earlier blog, I did not even see my primary care doc, but one of his partners. I was mildly astonished when this doc actually changed direction came totally across the officer to ask about me and to be sure I was being taken care of !

After I was checked in for ‘Lab’ work up I was assigned to the waiting area . A ‘holding pen’ for us ‘cattle’. My name was finally called and I motored up to the space where I had witnessed everyone go. There I was introduced to Lance, a young guy in deed of a shave who acted like he knew what he was doing-and I have always been complicated for the size easy access of my veins. Blood people love my veins and since they just pulled blood Tuesday night Wednesday morning and done so professionally my ‘wuss’ level were way down. But the lad just could not piece my protruding veins to save my life. Thank God, Debbie was standing next door and you could tell she was just going crazy with frustration seeing Lance botch each attempt. Debbie grabbed my hand and flipped it over saying the veins were gone for today and we’d try one on the back of my hand and effortlessly found the vein, tapped in and pulled out with no pain what so ever. It was beautiful to see her work.

I have been back at the office, back at my desk letting staff know my grueling time off and catching up their stories. I have returned calls, answered emails did sme end of the month routines. It’s good To be back.

No comments: