Saturday, March 17, 2007

Beware The Machines

Happy St. Patty's Day—this most beautiful day we have had this year. It must be in the 70's today. I have not really done much but enjoy the day. I had to venture out into public this morning to fix my glasses I broke in the spokes of my wheelchair getting up this morning. I also had to my battery charger for my power wheelchair fixed too.


I have noticed for the past couple of weeks that my charger has been acting more and more unreliable. I charge my chair almost every night and each night I have found I must wiggle the plug which fits into my chair round till the charger turns on and charging begins. Last night I went through this process but this morning my battery was still nearly drained. The battery had not charged a bit during the night! Si I knew my first stop was Magic Rest. I knew they closed at one on Saturdays.

I was in luck because a teck took me right in, or my charger. The Teck did not take long to find the problem: the plug I mentioned earlier actually had a broken connection. When I would wiggle the cord when I plugged the chair in each night would make the connection long enough to charge the battery, usually all of the way or enough not to be issue. They are not sure if they can repair the problem but gave me a loaner chair to work with until they van get a better diagnosis on the box sometime Monday.


So, of course, I was using my van to get round today when I noticed the seat was acting up. The seat is a six point power chair. The seat moves forward and backward, up and down and it swivels The forward and back motion mechanism seems to need scrutiny. I was at Eye Glass World” when I noticed about 12:00 and called my mechanic just on the lark he might be at the shop. He was on his way out. I mentioned that I could be trapped in the van but he informed me he had been in all morning now he had a birthday part to get to. I graciously let him off the hook and he graciously said if I stilled assistance Monday to be sure and give him a call. Luckily I was able to get home and into my power wheelchair. The seat seemed to work fine once I got home—so I don't know what could be the problem but I am sensing all things mechanical are going for me right now. This happens from time to time. My right lower molar has been giving me threats the past couple of days. I continue to ignore the dull slabs of pain, not severe enough to move me to make an appointment with Drew Luke. The pain originates in an area I was supposed to have a tooth extracted a couple of years ago. Drew did a “fix” against his well, gave me the referral to the oral Surgeon and that was that. So now the ducks are coming home to squat.

.

No comments: