Tuesday, March 06, 2007



This is another epic day. I had a dreadfully drug out meeting this morning just before lunch then later this evening I have a information Fair at one of the valley’s High schools. The fair starts at 6:00 so I can go right after work, and the fair winds up at 8:00. I will manage an information table for my office and the office which hosts us, the State DD council: light duty but long hours. However,,the ugly weather has moved on and a high pressure has enclosed the region and the temps have warmed up by comparison. I shall still get home after dark but the drive is quick and straight with little danger.

I was called by my old friend today, April Motely. I have not heard from April for a couple of years. Aprils is one of those pebbles you put in your friendship pouch which gives your pouch, color and great wealth. I first met April about fifteen years ago when I was a member of the Second West Acting Company, an acting company made up of actors with disabilities. We had a grant through Art Access, the local affiliate of the Kennedy Foundation Very Special Arts program. We wrote and then staged the plays and April was part of our crew. April is also an artist: paper, pencil, ink and other forms. I have been most impressed with her sculpting of kaleidoscopes. She krafts these very beautiful scopes, which she then sells through various art events round the year. Like most folks with disability April lives on federal subsidies yet has been able to eek out a small art business. She has a couple kaleidoscopes made up for instant sale but usually she will have to take your order made then make your scope. I will try to get a couple of images of her work to post with this blog; her work is very fine.

April is on the very cusp of middle age and she is a person with a significant disability which affects the woman’s disability. She can walk but does so with more and more effort. April , of course, balked when I suggested she is at the stage in her life where might consider a power wheelchair. Like most folks with physical disabilities, April’s physical ability degenerates a little more every year. He has the Federal and State supports in place to get such a device and sounds like her medical doctor is more then welling to script out a chair for her needs but she still fights the piece of assistive technology as caving in to something I am not really sure. If any thing the use of a power chair would add to her strength giving her many more options for her social life( which has always been full and active), her art life and who knows what else.

April is a tough and unique woman and I respect her decision to fore go this piece of assistive technology for right now. But, I think, I will start hounding her on the idea getting some A.T. assistance in her life. An artist is a terrible thing to loose.

No comments: