Sunday, June 22, 2008

Favorite Part



One of our favorite movies is City Of Angels with Nicolas Cage, Meg Ryan and others Dianne has lots of favorite parts but the part which comes up over and over again is when Nick asks the people he collects, “ what was you favorite part” meaning what was that person’s favorite part of life?” Every once in a while Dianne asks me…” what w2as your favorite part?” When Dianne first started asking me these questions I did not have an answer., in fact the question sort of sort of threatened me and I would try to push around the question and go on to something else. The other day, I cannot recall what I was doing maybe watching TV, reading or folding clothes down stairs in the utility/pantry/laundry and I heard the ice machine dump a load of ice in the bin—our automatic refrigerator’s ice machine just doing it’s job. I had a great comforting feeling way down in my soul for some reason and for a split second I felt everything is going to be alright, the same feeling I get when I go to bed and the washing machine or the dryer of both are running and I fall asleep listening the sound of clothes washing and drying meaning everything is going to be alright, I will have clean clothes tomorrow for work, play or whatever., Everything is going to be alright.
I used to hate talking about things like wills, death and the like. I used to really hate it but now not so bad, maybe it is just the aging process, seeing parents, friends and others age and die, pass away, bite the big one, what ever one wants to call the process but I am not nearly as uncomfortable with the topic as I used to be. I read the obits weekly usually Sunday and notice more and more folk in there are my age or younger! And I just look at the faces and wonder “where are you now?” These people were my age, they knew the life I knew, the music, television shows, magazines, flavors and smells which make a life.
58 Christmas’ and Thanksgivings, first bike, first grade, first love, crackers and milk, Star Trek and the Man from UNCLE , swimming at the bridge and running naked at the river.
What was your favorite part?

No comments: