Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Vacation?

I can tell I am not going to be an all star grandfather. I refused to be addressed as “Poppa, gramps or Bubba”. “Grandpa” or Grandpa Mark but that’s about it. I am just the warm cuddly grandpa sort. But I know my duty and I can execute that duty and I do. For example, yesterday of MY day off I volunteered to assist Dianne, who continues to labor on her court case, she is under a deadline and I knew the stress of having to run a granddaughter round all morning would be difficult on her and since I was home and the time with the granddaughter we be good for both of us. The last time we spent “quality time” together over drinks at our local Starbucks ridiculing “Barbie doll” yuppets Ani and I had a great time. So I figured we could do it again. Besides I only had to keep the 8 year old occupied for a couple of hours until I would drop her off at Sports World for her afternoon of tennis and swimming. I can do this.

When she arrived and realized that her grand ma was busy, again, at the computer working on grand ma’s case, she dejectedly headed to the VCR/DVD and started on her two hour tape of cartoons. Ani’s face lit up when I suggested we go for coffee at the Beans and Brew (B&B) across the street from the Starbucks we had gone before. So I transferred into my powerchair and Ani suited up, naturally checking her purse. Ani pulled our her collection “ credit” cards she has been collecting. These of course are gift cards, many of which are branded with various credit card companies. One she informed me still had “money” on it as she whipped a Barnes and Nobel in front of my face saying, “I know this one is still good because I have not used it yet.”

“Really ?” I said, “where did you get it?”

“My teacher gave it to me the last day of school. She gave one to all the kids”
“Cool”, I responded mentally aborting the trip to B&B, thinking we could kill two birds with one rock and only one transfer.

The AC was a blessing as we entered the hallowed halls of our “for profit” library better known as Barnes and Nobel. I quickly eyed the “Clearance “ tables for kidstuff, knowing there would be something there if we looked hard enough. I advised Ani we should first checkout how much booty was on the card—if indeed the card was still valid. “It is” she replied with the perfect faith of a child. And marched up to the cashier, slapped her card on the counter. “Miss Julie’s” eyes sparked to life as took the card and turned it over and saw a crayon inscription ‘Anakah, have a wonderful summer’ signed Miss Julie, conspiracy of Miss Julies. The Cashier Miss Julie flashed her ”highbeam” looking like gum commercial, teeth and said “ five dallors!”

I should have realized then I would never beable to guide this little kid with her loaded “credit” card back to the “Clearence” section. I mumbled a quick prayer to the grandpa guardians angel of grandpa wallets as Ani tore down th isle to the “Kid section” of Barnes and Nobel…tomorrow: “Dream Killer”

No comments: