Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Hey Buddy Can I Get a Push ?!

The “up note” I left you all on last night as I began my homeward trek in the snow was quickly dashed. As I had predicted the snow which had been plowed had been dumped into curb cuts the cross walks and sure enough I plowed up to the tops of my casters, the first curb cut I tried to go down. I was a little started when red and blue emergency lights started flashing. There was police cruiser right there behind me and witnessed me plant myself in the snow. I was relieved when both officers exited their cruiser and pushed me free. I barley made it down the length of the block but was again snow trapped when I tried to cross the intersection to the train station. I actually remained there a couple of minutes until called someone to help me push me out.

I was concerned that making it home by my usual path might prove a bit hazardous-since I knew most of the sidewalks would not be cleaned. Etc and to remain in the street would be spooky with al of the traffic that venue seems to pull these evenings. My plan was to catch a bus which leaves the station and goes somewhat close to my house. I still think this was a good plan had I not gotten stuck in a snow bank. I missed my usual train being stuck and the next train seemed to take for ever to come and that train was late enough, that by the time I did get to the train station the bus I wanted was just taking off and I was stuck in the cold a half hour waiting for the next bus. The plan was OK, I got home later then much later then I would have liked but I DID get home.

Today, the snow has moved on and though the temps are cold the sun has been, shining and acting all hot and aggressive. I had my Assistive Technology Fund meeting across town and I planned to bus over to the meeting. I have found one route which goes right by the building I have my meeting. The best part is this particular route is right across the street from my office! As I said earlier, the sun was shining making slush and puddles but still there was piles of snow right where I needed to go and sure enough coming down the crown of the street into the cur cut I buried my front end in went slushy snow and again I just had to wait till some one actually parked and got out of their car actually two people did and pushed and rocked me until I was free.

We are currently in between storms, I think the next is day after tomorrow, which will be into my weekend which is good for me. I don’t think I have ever been stuck this many times from one snow fall. I Am just going to have to keep my cool and my cell phone handy and my pride buried as deep as I can because I have a feeling I am going to be asking a lot more people for help before this Winter is through.

No comments: