Thursday, December 31, 2009

Hang Time Day Four







I missed posting yesterday—things just got out of hand. The cold persists anf the snow fell most of the day yesterday but the snow was light and slick. I went out once to the store but that was enough. We had been out the day before and got the fixins for an egg foo yung dinner. It’s been months since I last attempted to cook the dinner and I really wanted to cook it again before the year is out. I was really expecting to cook this meal for Dianne and myself but later in the afternoon Aunakah called half out of her mind with bordem and she desperately wanted to come over. I did not have a problem with her coming over so when Dianne asked if I had an issue with her coming over I said no—have come over.

By the time I had got back to the house Anakah had heard we were fixing a Chinese dinner and somehow had been changed into a New Year’s celebration dinner and she was begging for her family to come over to join us. At first I was somewhat hesitant and a bit threatened thinking I did not have enough ingredients to feed the family but then I thought why not? We would just do the best we can and have fun.

I think the reason I felt threatened was due to never or seldom having to cook for a large family meal and I think I was a bit spooked that what I was going to prepare would not turn out. My fear of failure but I had Dianne’s support and help so I went to work doing the prep, getting the vegetables washed and chopped and got them all done by the time the kids arrived. When they came I put Ani to work breaking the eags and I fired up the wok and started sweating the vegetables while Dianne and Bridget set to work making the egg rolls—BGA and gave us a deep fat fryer for Christmas and we were anxious to break the fryer in. I had vegetables prepared and sweated and ready for the egg foo yung cooking to begin. To be honest I was a bit spooked to work around the amount of hot grease I would have to make the pancakes so I foisted the responsibility of cooking the egg foo yungs on to Gabe who did great. The egg foo yungs turned out great, a little greasy( we were using peanut oil) but they turned out great. I was pleased that I had prepared enough vegetables for about nine or ten cakes good size cakes, enough that we had leftovers. The same held true for the egg rolls Dianne made tons, huge egg rolls the size of junk yard rats. Dianne had also prepared a huge bowl of rice, and we had more then enough to please everyone and everyone seemed pleased.

The night and dinner was delightful, surprising so. The kids had to leave and prepare and for their trip up to the cabin early this morning, Dianne and I were exhausted so we left the dished for this morning, watched the news and basically went to bed.

So today I am just coasting enjoying the down time and the sunshine of today knowing more snow is coming and I will have to deal with the snow when I return to work on Monday. But today, I am enjoying this last day of the year and look forward to 2010. Happy New Year Everyone!!

No comments: