Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Journey Home

The sun has just started to set in the cold, western winter’s sky. A think shroud of snow blankets the ground menacingly as I ponder my return trip to the house this evening, after 5:30,long after the sun has set and the super cold air settled in for the night. I cruised my chair to the train station this morning. The snow was falling, already deep falling during the night. I had to break new snow all the way to the station. Only once did I become concerned, when I was mounting the over pass, my foot had slipped from the power chair’s foot plate and I was bout half way up the arch and stopped my chair, aftyer I had replaced my foot back on the foot plate and I engaged my chair all I did was slip, skid and fish tail as I tried to progress up the over pass. I finally got back on track of backing up in my own tracks and slowly moving forward—I was able to catch enough grasp to continue my journey.

Ten hours have passed the snow fell and the sun did come out for a couple of hours but the temps never rose above 27 degrees! I am getting chilled just watching the daylight slip away. I know there will have been nothing done as far as any real snow removal for my journey home and what makes matter a bit worse light fluff snow which was plow-able early on will now have crusted over. If streets have been plowed I know the plows will have piled snow in drive ways and into curb cuts making it almost impossible to access sidewalks—as if sidewalks will have been scraped. I could try to make home, the back way, up over the overpass, but I am frightened I will have to be in the street most of the way and that is way too dangerous even for me.
So myplan is to take the train to my regular stop and there get on the State Street South coach which will drop me off just a couple of blocks from my house. This will take me longer to get home, but, I can stay in the coach and be warm. Plus I just got the all from home, the grandaughter is over tonight and since I am taking this approach to come home why don’t I stop by the KFC and grab some dinner . Why not.?

Life is choices and I am so pleased to be living in a place where I have so many choices for me. So now the setting sun is dropping behind buildings in the West and I am bout ready to start getting ready for my trip home. I’ll be OK. I’ll just dress warm and wonder into the cold, dark night.

No comments: