Monday, December 07, 2009




This is a view of the sink in the men’s bathroom, I found on my return to work this morning and normally this blockage under the sink would not be an issue worth blogging about except that the blockage happened today and actually any day now would be a problem since I have started using the bathroom as my cathing suite at least once a day and since this weekend will most likely be twice a day.

Since I have started cathing in the bathroom I feel I need to have as much room as I can get to prep for each characterization. I have be able to get under the sink, have a fairly clean surface space to lay out the items I will be using, wash my hands and when I can get under the sink the layout as it stands seems to work fairly well. But today with new mess under the sink, I could not get close enough to lay things out without jumbling things and dropping stuff, in fact I lost one complete catheter this morning, and I am pretty certain I may have contaminated the second catheter so badly that I may have given myself an infection of one type or another.

This weekend, since Friday’s biopsy I have been more challenged then usual trying to cath myself. I have been draining blood, and clots of blood when just tapping myself for my usual void. To my dismay, as I tried to drain once the catheter would become clogged with this partially solidified blood and or other body fluids that would be the end of the drain and then I would have to wait another four to six hours when I could attempt to drain again. What really spooks me is that by not being able to drain my bladder completely I am leaving way too much urine in the bladder where infections and other nasty baddies might breed. I made calls this morning to my Uro and primary medical practitioner, one returned my call and I was able to get my main medico and have set up an appointment for this Thursday( more time off work-- missed work) I am figuring a lot of the blood and stuff is natural following an event like last weeks but I just have to be sure—but, in the meantime I have to continue own with my life and part of that is being able to cath in as clean an environment possible and being able to reach the things I need to. The office manager has already contacted the building owner who, we hope, will convey to the tile person of the need to reload his stuff, at least to the back wall of the bathroom giving me the room I need under the sink to do what I need to do.

Snow fell early this morning, dusting my path to the train. I was late getting off due to the issues from the weekend. The wind was cold and the day dark as I got to my train station, more snow is forecast for this evening and my return trip and tomorrow more of the same. This week will truly be challenging

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write such a great blog! From someone who knows you so intimately, it's amazing to learn still so much from your blog. It's icing on the great cake of being your wife. Your observations and words are moving for me - you are such a character/ POW. I'm so happy to be a part of your life! Love you so much!