Monday, August 23, 2010

Just Crashing Into The week




This is going top be a challenging week I have know that for some time. I will only be in my office one day, today and tomorrow I fund I have to take since I work Friday (one of the days of my usual weekend).I am hating this conference thing which is eating up my week but I am trying to put the best face on the whole event. I of course would not even be going if I was not being strong armed by my boss, who thinks by attending will help in finding funding for my position—and who knows she might be right. She is the boss!! However because I will be attending this conference which is n another city, only forty miles away, which is serviced by local public transit and which will run full day into my typical weekend I will essentially be off for the rest of the week! Tomorrow I am taking off because hours of leave time earned must be taken in the same forty hour week, then conferencing is conferencing. I plan to attend the conference in good spirit but conferences , I have found, regardless of how good, and well prepared they might be are basically a waste of time: hours upon hours of lecturers droning on and on about materials they hand out which is basically the same material the lecturer is droning on and on, on. Looks as if some meals are provided , not counting the infamous “continental ‘breakfast’”. Much of the material being covered is material I already know if not at least a little familiar with since I am a resource coordinator. So I should be OK and worst case scenario I might learn something related to my job. But my cynical side says I probably will not.

I will be riding public transit going and coming and that should be interesting. I am kind of looking forward to this aspect or the conferencing to see how well the transit works out of county and especially how well the over the road(OTR) vehicles work. I figure I will traveling at least 180 minutes a day just in travel—this also means that I will not necessarily be expected to be at the conference on time since the conference command knows I am coming in on transit. I will be there when I get there. How ever, near as I can tell I should be OK. I should be at the conference site way before the conference begins.

Things never turn out as they seem or should seem and the best laid plans of mice and men or often dashed by the cold reality of being but I am looking forward to this week of challenge and accepting my place in reality. I don’t know how well I will post this week but I will try to update my Twitter and Face book accounts from my cell and maybe I’ll even do some short blog updates from my cell. Maybe I’ll et access to a system somewhere at the conference one can never tell.

No comments: