Monday, September 13, 2010

Happiness

Restocking fee!!!??? I don't think so. Twenty or thirty dollars just give the product I was not happy with back!! So, I started listening to other options the best being to look over their remaining laptops and find a system which might better fit my need. So Mark, Jasmine and I returned to the the rows of laptops in the quest. Essentially we were looking at Toshibas, even though I had stated I wanted to try something different. I whole countenance was obvious that I wanted Toshiba or similar quality.
My quest did not take long. I found a Toshiba Satellite, with wider screen and the larger keys I needed. The satellite only cost a hundred more then I was paying for the HP so I figured the extra dollars would be well spent. Remember, please it was after 7:00 in the evening, I was tired and a little nervous on how this whole adventure was going to go down. When we went up to the salesperson with my decision he checked his database and indicated that because of school beginning the store was completely out of Toshiba Satellites in the model that I wanted. In fact on further inspection of their product base, all the Toshbas were gone all they had in inventory was what was sitting on the shelves. Of course then asked t he next basic question which was, then could I purchase the floor model and got a resounding “ ohhh, no we could not do that”. This was a front line flunky but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. So, then he volunteered to check to see what was available in other stores in the Salt lake vicinity and of course there were no Toshiba Satellites available. Then we decided to order in a new system just for me—this should take a couple of days and I should have my new system by the end of the following week. I thought for second knowing I would not be doing a whole lot with the new system over the reaming of the weekend anyway so why not? I could order the unit in and be set to go by the next weekend. I mean, I still had my Satellite with the broken key, at home and it worked fine if one over looked the back space key. There was a quick computer check of the Best Buy system and I knew something was wrong at the little sales person's face. He gulped an adolescent gulp and informed me that the model I wanted was no longer in production an there were no more available anywhere.

By this time I was beginning to draw a small crowd of Best Buy staff—with this new information I once again looked at the system and asked why I could not purchase the floor model especially if the floor model was the only system available. The time was now nine o clock on a Friday evening, Mark A was doing great negotiation with staff and their relentless objections and Jasmine was fine playing with the toy she had gotten with her kids meal—Jasmine just followed us round from piler to post until we finally ran into the store manager who reasonable indicated he did not have a problem selling me the floor model of the last remaining floor model of this specific Toshiba Satellite. The floor grunts just sat there with their mouths open as the manager unplugged the system and removed the sales data from the shelf and walked us up to the check out. The manager further informed me that since the floor model was a floor model the machine would cost me about seventy dollars less since it was not a “new machine”. I would still have the year warranty which came with the system and I elected to not take the “extended coverage” the staff always tried to “up sale”with when ever you by a new item. The manager informed me I could not take computer home with me right because they had to “wipe” the system's memory, it seems Best Buy installs their own software when the machine is on the display stands and the software has to come off. They even offered to have it ready in a half hour but I said I would pick it up the following morning Mark and Jasmine had to get home and I was tired.


I picked they system up the following morning. The system was an upgrade over the HP, the Satellite looked and felt like a better machine because it as a better machine. So I was able to get th whole upgrade or a mere $24.00 over what I ha paid for the HP. And I must admit the difference has made me happy.:-)

No comments: