Monday, September 27, 2010

Just another Miracle


This guy is hosing down the parking lot where the elephants and zebras lived while visiting Salt Lake City...


I leave for the train, actually the bus which then takes me to the train, way early now at 5:55 a.m., no later and some times even earlier. I am able to the hope up to the bus stop by 6:00 and my bus comes then about six minutes after the hour. Its way dark now when I leave for the bus and the darkness is OK—I am traveling through residential area and through a church parking lot to get to State street and my bus stop. My ride ride through the neighborhood is a quiet one and I have never really thought of what I would do if I ran into problems on this short leg of my morning commute. However, this morning gave me pause. This morning, I had just gotten past the church parking lot and I was on the sidewalk heading toward State street. I might mention usually at this point I use one of the driveways to leave the sidewalk and entry the street where I will stay until I cross State street and get to my bus bus stop. I am usually pretty good at this I don't know what happened tis morning. One moment I was safe on the sidewalk heading East toward a driveway to let me down to street level and the next moment I felt myself precariously balanced on the left side wheels of my power chair realizing I had just dropped myself off the side of an eight inch curb. On the scale of dangerous I could have done one being just galling out of my chair and “10” having my chair roll out of control in the front of an on coming Trax train this was about a four.

I had of those “ everything switches into slow motion” moments where a person can have extended and complicated thought in the split second impending trauma is finding the body. I immediately noted, I was no longer on the sidewalk, that I had done something completely stupid and that I was about to tip over my power chair with me in it and I was sorting out how to land if I had th option to control the fall at all, would I be able to get to my cell phone after I land to call Dianne or 911 to get me back in my chair and on with my life or would I just lay there until some geese monkey driving to work would stop and hopefully figure out a way to get me back into my chair. I just hope the such a person sees me and my chair laying there before both of us get run over. In the split second these thoughts were piercing my brain I say my hand on the controller push tom the right—I have to state his was not a conscious act. I pushed the joystick to right, hard and the chair followed and almost as quick, I was all four wheels on the ground, moving forward. I had to stop-right there and then and evaluate just what had happened and to make sure I was still in my chair. I did and I was. I had o stop and give a fast prayer of thanks before I continued on my way-- just seemed right. I tried not to ponder what could have been.


I left the train at my down town stop and cut through the Utah Paper Box Company parking lot and had just crossed the street , I was on the sidewalk almost to the office building when my backpack just fell off the front of my chair where I usually have it securely bungied up. As my back pack fell it turned upside spelling out my lunch, camera, bungee cord and a host of other items. It took a minute or two plus the assistance of a kindly stranger gut I definitely was getting the feeling that something strange was going on in my universe.

The circus left town for Denver this weekend, infact the last of the circus tucks left just a few hours after lunch. The hosiers moved in with their super powerful water cannon(s) BLASTING THE ELEPHANT AND ZEBRA POO off the parking lot and down the drain. The circus has left the city.

No comments: