Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Snow Grief



I just got back from meeting out in the city—really just one but I bussed all over the city to get there in the cold, gray inverted Salt Lake City. I have this meeting every other month. Its a board of director meeting and the past year or so we have been having the meeting at a building a couple miles from my office and not served that well by public transit. Actually, it just seem like it is not served well but there are two bus routes which get me within 100 feet of the building the meeting is held. If I really try I can get to the meeting with in 45 minutes—I don't know why it just bugs me that I have to go all the way over there because the judge is in a wheelchair---so am I am. The judge chooses to use a manual chair.

I'm grousing because I had to travel a snow encrusted transit system today. Actually, I was pleased in that I I did not become marooned in snow drifts or ice flows not once.


I think I am also a little mad at myself because I was stupid. I was trying to catch the bus I needed to et to the meeting on the wrong side of the street and I know I must have missed two buses before a stopped infront of me and I asked the driver when th bus I needed (the 220) would be by...””Oh “she says,” you need to be on the other side of the street. You want the 220 outbound.” “Grrrr” I crossed the street and got the bus I needed in 10 minutes but I waited more then an hour in the cold winter air.


The meeting was OK but because I was late the kabobs were cold but edible==I was bout 20 minutes late. I had used much more power then I had planned in getting to the meeting and I could tell I was getting low and I would be dangerously low on power by the time I got back to the office if I did GET back to the office. (I really need to re look at figuring out a way to drag a charger along with so I could charge at times like this. But I made it tired, cold and worried bout my chair and getting home. I OK, I have charged for almost 90 minutes and I am back to 97% but that is quick charge and not deep but it should been enough especially if Dianne picks me up at the train station.


I have included with today's an image of my morning bus stop it's covered with snow and ice and not usable by a person using a wheelchair. The bus driver had to park in front of the drive way to the dealership because the snow was so bad. I spent 30 minutes calling the mayors office and sending him emails about the situation-- maybe something will happen.


No comments: