Saturday, March 05, 2011

All Summer Long

Yesterday was sunshine and and warm temperatures; this early Spring weekend. The day was not THAT warm but warm enough to drive me out of the house and toward the garage and to look at the mess of a wood shop that I keep there next to the house. I hope to be able to spend more time out in the garage this Summer making sticks and sawdust. I was in the garage looking for my tools and wood product to make a couple of hooks to help me in my feeble attempts to live more independently then I have as of late.

I, at one point in time, had twenty or thirty hooks made and ready for sale. The sales never came and I used the hooks as gifts, prizes at various private non-profit fundraisers and ofcourse assists, to me a person with a disability, to easier live my life. I have written of this before but by in large the reason the hooks came to be was to have an excuse, for me, purchase tools and collect wood scrap. But to surprise I have gone through almost all of the hooks I turned and sanded. Now, I need more hooks and that means I have to access my garage wood shop.


To me the first acceptable weekend of my wood season is always filled with frustration and hope and I venture out to the garage. I hope to just get out intothe garage an do some prep work but I have come to expect that being able to get in and start working will be impossible—at least three national holidays, family and friends visits associated with those holidays has caused items to be moved to the garage for storage or until the holidays run heir course. I hope I will be able at lest get to the far corner of my wood bench, the corner of the wood bench where I have the vises mounted and tools I use the most scattered: the hand saws, power drill and various rasps, files and sand paper. If I can get to the end of the bench I can do th basics like vise-up and cut sticks the lengths I want to start working on The garage I open however this Spring is chaos. I have to begin a constant slow burn of pressure to family for assistance in getting this handed to me or plugging in that till I have my space accessible to thee point where I can turn a rough piece of oak, poplar or pine into a hook. Some time I tun up the heat a little more then others but I have to be patient and remember there will always be another weekend. My goal this year though is to start early in the hopes of getting out early and enjoy my garage wood shop all season long.


Some day I am going to have heat in the garage, The garage will be cleaned out to the point where I will enter and start to work. Someday I am going to use the 220 outlet in the garage for something productive and I am going to have power outlets ALL around the garage so I will have power anywhere I need it..Oh, yeah I am also going to have power always on to the garage—day or night.


But yesterday I got out there and saw what I have to do. I got a couple of the last hooks moved them into the house, one I'll take to work the other I'll use round the house but soon, a couple more weeks I will be out in the garage making sawdust an happy feeling...all Summer long.

No comments: