Saturday, March 12, 2011

Up a Little Down a Little

I am changing my lifestyle. I am not sure that I like the change but slowing down a little and taking care of my of my skin is a lot better then having the be down for months and having to endure surgeries to try to combat the ravages of skin breakdown.

Friday I had my DDS(Division of Determination Services) Advisory Board meeting not a bad assignment--the lunches range from hot to cold but they are usually good--I have even grown to accept the potato bar. I even like the sandwich bar we had on Friday multiple cuts of meat and really great breads to choose from not a bad lunch. One of the members to the board is a quadriplegic fellow from Logan, Utah--a very forthright academic who takes his job very seriously. His quadriplegia is much more involved then mine but his involvement downs not stop him one day I'll write more about Gordon. Gordon is really is really a piece of work. Anyway over the winter months a and now with the cost of everything especially fuel escalating Gordon and others from the Logan have been joining the meeting by telecommuting of one sort or another. Friday he informed the rest of the Board that he was going in for skin surgery Monday. It seems that Gordon has a major skin condition or butt sore much worse then mine. The surgery to do a 'flap' a procedure where a flap is manufactured from the patients body and sewn over the wound in hopes of curing the wound taking monsterous amounts of time in bed and a significant amount of risk to the patient. Gordon has been through a couple of these surgeries--I do not envy him and appreciate what he is facing by what i have just experienced even though what I have experienced is 'nothing ' compared to what Gordon is. I hope all goes well for Gordon and that Gordon can rejoin his life in six months or so.

So yes I am changing my life style--more pressure releases and time down in bed--every day maybe. Today all wounds have healed and I want to keep them that way...closed. so more trips to the Doc, weight releases, better equipment and a commitment to being well. Good luck Gordy!!

No comments: