Sunday, April 03, 2011

Conference Afternoon

Snow fell during the night, a lot of snow, at least eight inches of snow and the looks cold and un-inviting outside my front room writing window. Snow fell all morning too but now the skies are bluing up in patches, the snow has stopped and the snow is beginning to drop off branches and telephone lines in clumps as the birds sing and look round quizzically wishing they has a hand to scratch their heads. Yesterday, running up to this Spring storm the temperature s high as 74 degrees: the ground is warm ad so is the street pavement and the sidewalk concrete so the snow ,of course did not stick on these services. The snow is melting fast as the day's temperature races up to the low fifties. Spring in the Rocky mountain states.


It's Conference weekend in Salt Lake! It's World Conference. The sheep from all over the world gathers this weekend for meetings, shopping and eating like they cannot any other time of the year. The meander round don town Salt Lake City Temple Square between sessions. Bulging bellies in ill fitting clothes wander aimless downtown, clutching their scriptures looking for cheap food outlets. I usually avoid this scene at all cost but yesterday I found myself downtown, through no fault of my own. I had agreed to be on a panel for Skywest airlines a couple of weeks ago, actually, I got into this whole panel thing because of my boss. Skywest called on her to put this panel together and she in turn put the touch on me. I was charged with putting together panels one on Wednesday and the other on yesterday( Saturday). Skywest has had their employees in the town all week, thousands of people doing conference from 8:00 to 5:00. I ended up getting six other folks with disabilities to populate the panels. Of course, my boss bailed for the Saturday panel but that was all right. I had negotiated with Skywest who agreed to feed my people which I figured was only right for these folks many of who are low-income, giving their time and expertise. My Saturday session got out at 1;00 PM and the LDS Conference was already on their lunch break and I was astounded. The sheep were or should I say cattle were meandering without shepherds or cowboys. The majority had a distant lost look on their faces, I tried to avoid eye contact eyes which seemed to be searching for a prophet to lead them to a promised land of fast food, which would feed them, make them happy and allow them to return to Temple Square and into their place for the two clock session. By this time of the day I just wanted get as far as downtown as I could—I threw my power chair in gear and escaped to the train station heading South.

No comments: