Saturday, September 17, 2011

Of Spiders and Hobos


The fall is almost here, the cooler weather has rolled in and we have had storms and thunderstorms which I feel is very odd for this time of year. I have been looking round for long sleeves and turtle neck shirts. The ride into the train in the morning is uncomfortably cool and we have thrown another blanket on the bed. Summer is gone.

This last week was the first week the State has returned to the five day week,work now begins at 8:00 and is over 5:00 pm. I have done my share of griping but I am rolling with the change ok. I am forcing myself to sleep in an hour and am enjoying leaving for home aa half hour then I used to. I am also getting an extra day to work and take phone calls. So change back has not been too bad so,I need to stop my bitching.

The spiders are coming into house from yard now the temperature is dropping and the hobos are looking and finding anything they can to give them some protection from the night's cool downs. I am amazed every day when I use our bathroom I have seen huge daddy long legs and I have found out daddy long legs are great to have a round since they eat a host of other spiders which might invade the house. I can deal with daddy long legs. Hobos are another challenge. When I came to work on Tuesday I was met by what looked like a bundle now from the front door to the building I work. I am usually the second person in the morning. Frank the accountant, is usually first in and the door to the building iss unlocked. But not this day frank had not yet come in. I had a suspicion the bundle housed a person but was not totally sure until I looked close and saw a had poking out of the end of the bundle and the hand moved! I thought better of unlocking the door and decided to go round to the back and unlock the back door.



I started my day: cranked up my system, made the coffee and popped two pieces of bread into the toaster oven and got them toasting. I often make toast which I slather with peanut butter and eat for breakfast. I could not get the body in the front of the office of my mind. I was seriously thinking of making a couple pieces of toast and waking the hobo it toast and coffee. Luckily, Bonnie showed up and made short work of waking and sending the sleeper on his way. I sort of feel I failed as a human, as missing an opportunity to put someone in front of myself. But I am not stupid, I have brothers and sisters and know what can happen when someone who does not want to be woken is woken. I have still not fully got over another body I came across earlier this Summer, one who was not going do go on his own any time soon. But still, I feel sad as each day the hours of daylight shortens and the night grown longer, dark and colder. The Spiders and hobos are at risk


No comments: