Saturday, February 23, 2013

Retirement Week I


It's Saturday night, the first Saturday night of my retirement and I would like to think this week would be somewhat reflective of what my week will be like-- but this is not the case. This was a holiday week meaning I did not have to go into work on Monday, also this past week was also a transition week. The week was taken up doing activities I would normally not be doing. I was called earlier in the week by the University medical center wanting to know if I have followed through with meeting with the cardiologist about the pericardial cyst which popped up on one of the pictures of my chest way back in November. I was freaked out when this was first brought to my attention before the holidays and was freaked out again when this was brought to my attention last week. But, made the appointment and got into cardiology first the week.

On Tuesday I met with Dr. Frederick Sheen, an ancient cardiologist working at the University medical center. I had taken the train of course up to the University, the day was a good day for traveling out on the tarmac. I got in the office, got myself squared away and waited for the good doctor. As I indicated Dr. Sheen was ancient, he'd been practicing medicine since 1965 and he looked it. He looked at me strangely asking if I was at the clinic today because of dizziness, palpitations and other indicators of heart involvement. I looked shocked, shook my head that I felt quite good all things being equal. Dr. Sheen looked bewildered but continued with evaluation. Dr. Sheen like a Shaolin priest, I could tell, this guy knew everything,his movements were slow and measured, his eyes clear saw every thing. We chatted I could tell he was impressed with the fact that I have been disabled as long as he practiced medicine amazing. Again he expressed bewilderment, why was I there if I was not feeling any kind of cardiac stress or distress. I told him I think my managing doc just wanted cover the bases—he nodded understanding but he did not seem to be in agreement that I needed to be there today. The day ended with me making an appointment for an echocardiogram. I would've liked to have gotten it that very day but of course there was nothing often so I was scheduled for two o'clock the next day another trip into the city.

Thursday was much cooler than Tuesday had been, snow had fallen during the evening but was not a problem. I missed my first bus and waited a while for my bus to come and it did and I got into the hospital and in good time. I actually ordered a salad with sesame seed sticks. So it was huge with all the good things I really do need to eat like this more often.

Cardiology was busy as I rolled in but I was taken right in since I had been there just the day before, all my paperwork was done, I was directed to a room filled with equipment to measure heart function and there I waited till a young Justin showed up. I was pleased that I did not have to transfer from my chair. Now I have been aware for years that I have a pretty significant scoliosis. I really don't think about the scoliosis much except that is beginning to get in the way of some of my ADLs like putting on my pants and shoes. Well, young Justin was having a problem and left the room returning a few minutes later with another tech was always with older and more experienced. I found out then the issue of the day was the technician could not find my heart! It seems my scoliosis has gotten so severe it is pushed my cardiac sac way over to the right side of my chest. It was obvious that the technicians were having difficulties in imaging my heart. They even introduced a solution that was supposed to enhance imaging, that really didn't work. The technicians finally gave up hoping what they did capture would be enough to satisfy Dr. Sheen and in turn Dr. Rosenbluth. The important part to me was that Dr. Sheen, the ancient cardiologist, did not seem worried. In fact it's he seemed still confused why was even there. But I'm touching all the bases and touching these bases really took the whole week so it's not a real good indication of my first week into retirement. We'll see next week when a report on my second week of retirement

No comments: