Thursday, May 02, 2013

Get Back On The Horse





I really wanted to post this Sunday when the event happened but life just seems to get in the way. Last summer when I was going through all those issues with the decubitus ulcer on my butt I. E. Pressure sore I sort of gave up driving. Actually, even before the decubitus I was driving less and less. I hate to drive the truth be known, but transferring to the driver seat of the van with little or no protection for my butt made driving a painful and somewhat dangerous ordeal. So after the fling in the hospital I sort of gave up driving. I use public transit so much anyway given up driving was not a major sacrifice. I get back and forth to my work and most everything else very well with public transit. I bus or train everywhere and the system works. DeeDe is always happy to drive me where I need to go when I need to get to somewhere public transit doesn't go in this usually works well to. I tend to become complacent and take the easy way out. I don't like that about myself but I'm afraid it's a truism.



About a year ago maybe shade longer, in an effort to pare down, we got rid of are more expensive cable provider went with the local city provided cable provider at much less expense. For the most part this provider has met our cable needs but we of become less and less satisfied with their service, equipment and quality of viewing. We have started trolling cable channels looking for movies. Only find one we want to watch we record the item on the cable recorder. Many of these films are saturated with commercials (which drives me crazy) but at least we can fast-forward through commercial breaks. If the video is good then I tried to find the video on red box so we can watch the whole movie without commercial breaks. I know just another step to elitism. The trouble with red box is that they just have their current selections they don't really have an inventory of older CDs. I suppose if we were tech savvy we could figure out a way to download the movies from the Internet. We have never done that and besides our television set is older and seems intimidating hook up to the Internet if indeed that is even possible. So I remembered blockbuster and they should have a number of older titles and they did. I diligently researched where the film was I wanted and found a blockbuster nearby. The daily and Sunday the transit was barely running so I figured why not? Why not just saddle up get in the van driver blockbuster and get the film. My rear end had been healed for some time DeeDe did a great job in taking care of me. I was a little intimidated at driving but figured I can do this.



The day was actually pretty nice as I drove out of the driveway and headed east and came to the address listed on the Internet. I've been here many times that something didn't seem right and it wasn't. The blockbuster was empty and I remember the blockbuster had been one of those shucked off by the Corporation last year and effort to save themselves. They circle the parking lot and decided to download anyway and at least go to the grocery store and pick up a few items. As I made a right turn into the parking area I felt the front wheel go up on the sidewalk. I had turned too sharply and before I knew it I was on the sidewalk there is a large crash from the right side of the vehicle. I could neither advance or retreat. There was an old guy walking in front of my van and this all happens he froze his face anguished and told me not to move. He told me I had driven over a stone, a large stone, a small boulder sharp pointed and had slid itself under the running board the passenger side. I can either go forward or backward without causing damage. I rock back and forth trying to free myself but he just shook his head and said I need to call my insurance agent. Who really calls their insurance agent? You want me to get out and look at the mess I created but I told them I was in a wheelchair and could not do that especially the van was situated. By this time the younger fellow strolled by looking at the vehicular carnage. And the both of them began to direct me in the best way to free my van. Damage been done the running board had been brutalized by the stone and he guided me off the rock the noise was gruesome but I did get off the stone and except for the cosmetic damage the van seems to be okay. I have not driven the van sense. But not because I was afraid to I just didn't need to. I have made the decision to continue driving. I'm basically a good driver but I need more practice so it's back on the horse and regaining control of my life.

No comments: