Monday, November 10, 2014

so Long Buddy



My heart is heavy as work through the loss of my next door neighbor,Albert. Albert died a couple of days ago—expected but not expected. Actually, Al died twice last summer when he had a vehicular accident assaulted by the deployment of the airbag of his vehicle. Truly, I was amazed at how well he came out of the accident.

I've been racking my brain all weekend just trying to remember how I started visiting with my next-door neighbor. We have been neighbors now for about 21 years we moved into this house every weekend we got married two decades ago. Al livee next door along with his wife,Lanae. So Al would been in his late 60s at that point. I think he was still employed. I doubt we had much communication at that point, just neighbors passing in life. There were cookies at Christmas and little by little we got to know each other. I think it had something to do when I started going into my woodworking phase, when I began making sticks. Albert, is a constant woodwork he has a little shop in the back of his garage and I often heard him in his shop sawing wood. I started going over to Al's house to have him rip wood and to ask questions or ask advice. Then I started going over to Albert's just to visit with Al. It was kind of weird because Albert had three kids, one of which is exactly my age. This guy could be my dad. We linked up some how and we would talk for hours out on the back step of his house. We could really talk during the summer spring and fall rarely did we talk during the winter. Alberts house was not wheelchair accessible except for a very steep down to the basement of his home. There were a couple times that we used that way but Al had to hold on to my chair to easily down the ramp safely.

Albert turned 90 last week. I wished I could've gone over and wished Albert happy birthday in his own home but I could not. I did go over and gave him a hook that I had manufactured. He took it and I could see it wasn't sure what he would use it for but I just encouraged Albert to use it if you want to. Did comment on how nice and smooth the piece was but I knew he was just being kind. His work is so much better than mine.


I'm surprised at how Albert's passing is affecting me. I truly am in some form of mourning. I'm actually going to that phase of wanting to go over and knock on his back door to tell him something that have to remind myself that he is no longer with us. Albert was shy I think I had to drag our friendship out of him but it was truly worth it. I think Albert was amazed at me in my life as a person of the disability. He was amazed at me being a disabled state worker and the information I had at my disposal. He asked all kinds of questions which I answered to the best of my ability. I think I was his best option at answering questions about a world he no longer understood. I loved this guy, I totally admired him and how he lived his life. I just hope in our short 20 years that I gave him as much as he gave me.

No comments: