Saturday, February 22, 2020

Watch Rewind Watch Again




I find myself watching movies that I have enjoyed over and over again I don't know how healthy this is but I enjoy this behavior and the feelings of comfort this affords. Yesterday as I was bopping around prime video I noticed Wargames: 1983 was listed. I don't know why I was so taken with this film came out maybe it was the whole doomsday/Armageddon concept of the world nuke itself into oblivion by mistake. W G 1983 is reminiscent of a number of films of that time. Dr. Strangelove (a little earlier) for example. Really like the adolescent aspect and the kid just hacking around getting into “the big boys” sandbox.

I've never really thought the film was that intense source kind surprised when during the evening as I slept I found myself in a long version of the film. I was not myself in the film just watching and feeling a lot of the feelings the characters must have had. I don't know why but I focused on two minor characters who always thought were somewhat interesting but never really considered and that was Malvin and Jim, the two computer programmers David Litman visits to ask a question. These two guys are perfect for their roles. I totally new people like this during that period of my life just as computers are coming online all over the country. Malvin, the complete nerd probably suffering from some sort of developmental disability and then the slobby Jim the disheveled person in charge seem to know the answers to the questions and for some reason watched after Malvin. I've thought about these guys often on each time I watch the film but only during my sleep cycle last night that I really focus on these two. This morning as I was focusing on my dream I wondered why no one did a serial of these two. I thought it would be great to see a movie that these two starred in like a sequel to wargames not necessarily like wargames but the life of two seemingly different mindsets trapped into computer programming in the early 1980s so much interesting stuff was coming down with no apparent oversight. So of course this morning I did some research and found a couple of YouTube videos in a number of articles examining how realistic the movie Wargames actually was.

Interestingly, there really was no oversight to fairly sophisticated (for the time) systems and operations in use by both the military and other sensitive government and academic operations. It really was the wild wild West. And kids were hacking systems fairly regularly. Now in the light of day, hours removed from my morning thoughts the plight of Malvin and Jim do not seem to interest me as much. I found out the two folks who played the roles to each other for just that brief time they work together on this film. I still think that would've been interesting to see these two have their own film together or maybe even a TV series sort like “Odd Couple meets the Big Bang theory”. Maybe have answered my own question. The IT crowd and the Big Bang theory are just those kinds of shows.maybe I'll just lost the little revelry treating these two characters as long-lost friends… “Would you like a nice game of chess”

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.