Tuesday, December 05, 2006

20 and Counting

Twenty days before Christmas—in the Daily Statesman the newspaper I grew up, with the paper would being their Christmas countdown: a cartoon in the bottom corner revealing how many days were left before the holiday. This count down drove me crazy with desire as I noted each day closer. The days would drag on to what seemed to me eternities. Now, there don’t seem to be enough days t get down what I need to before the event. I also have to admit I am also coping out and will default to the ubiquitous gift card. I hate thinking of myself lowering my standards to gift cards. Gauche little rectangle shards of plastic with an embedded chip which can be electronically charged with a value of worth for a person I love enough to send the very least! Oh, forgive me dear children for I have wondered so far from the gifting path. I thought I was slipping when I was sending books, slick paper backed pieces of literature and some times a 5 or 10 dollar bill for a book mark. I like t think of myself so busy as not to have time to shop, with enough lead time to purchase the gift, wrap and post well before the holiday. What happens to me is that I suddenly sense it’s December and low I am about of time.

What I am sorry to say is the real issue for me is that I am so out of touch with those I love I do not know how to gift them. I do not know what they are reading or if they are reading let alone any type of shoe or garment. What kind of music do they listen to, or do they have the music already. Do the need media would they use media. Do you gift them individually or with spouse and family and what if they are fighting will they keep their union together till after the holidays. Do they want meals, or heels groceries or wash soap. Maybe a ham would do or a turkey too…then I am left with why don’t I just send money and I believe that form of gifting is the worst gift of all—but maybe it’s all they want.

I used to love the packages. We always had a tree when I was growing up and with seven kids home all at once there were tons of gifts under the tree. When the tree would be lit up and all the lights in the room turned off I would lay there on the rug and dream about what was inside the wonderfully colored boxes. Never mind that I rarely received what I exactly wanted. But I think I would have been more disappointed if I just got an envelope of money and that was that. Even the pencils and pens and had knit scarves and gloves from my dad’s side of the family, the Canadians, which were placed in the drawer and finally used sometimes months after the gifts were opened.

Maybe I am just cheap, maybe I want to spend as little as possible but still be precieved as a fine guy. Maybe I still need to learn the lesson in my heart- the gift is the symbol of your love. Do not be afraid to give =do not be afraid to love..

No comments: