Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Woof


12



Just hung up the phone from a caller wanting to find a “service animal” vest or more accurately a vest with” Companion Animal” written on the vest. I get these calls from time to time , usually from apartment dwellers who are trying to figure out how they can do an end run the No Pets Allowed” policy of the complex they live in. Or maybe it’s a grocery store or doctors office. There is actual legislation written on and protecting real life service animals. Animals which can document their training as service beasts. Usually dogs but some monkeys have also had service careers.

The companion animal is relatively, I would say less then a decade old. The requirement, if there are any, seem much rigorous then their service cousins. Usually a physician or some other medical gate keeper must fill out a document to get the animals paper work. You know there is not even an official state or federal office which oversees such activities. I think there might be a couple of dog trainers who will spend time with beast and owners and then Christine the “owner and Companion” so in my estimation the companion dog thing is kind of a racket. If you pay your dime and do your time you get the papers, still I do not know where you get the cute little or big vests.

So there are always those who want to push the limits. Lately, I have been contacted by two people who say they have raised their own companion dogs from pups ad the owner has raised the dogs the way they wanted and now wants to get the spiffy new vest so they can drag their mutt to Nordstrom’s or ride the bus. So the lady I spoke with today was crying and moaning about how everyone is being so negative toward her “ companion’ animal. All she wants is the vest. Somewhere in the course of the conversation I curiously asked the breed of the dogs. Then with out breaking step she says “Oh, their both pit-bulls, I raised them from pups.

My whole demeanor must have changed in the heartbeat she said pit-bull. If I had been bored trying to keep myself away I had been snapped wide away and suddenly I was being as whole lot less then objective. Having a pit bull as a companion animal is like using a cocked glock as a hammer. Sure you may get the nail in the board but at what risk? If you are using a Glock for a hammer you really just want a deadly weapon to hit a nail with. If you are using a pit bull as a companion dog your are wanting a whole lot more then just a cuddly companion and everyone in your scope of existence had better be ware. I told her if there was an entity which certifies service dogs, I mean a real agency, I would be surprised if they would cert a pit bull—just too aggressive. It’s the locking jaws, just so damn messy. So, I am going to spend some more time trying to find the dog vests or an agency which grants “companion dog” credentials. If I find either I will then I shall have to live with the guilt of having been a small part in the process of allowing “loaded weapon” free access to the public in the name of disability. I feel so used.

2 comments:

riptideselkie said...

http://www.deltasociety.org/TextOnly/ServiceInformationFaqs.htm

Hiya! I was looking around and I found this website. I'm not certain how credible the delta group is, but they sure seemd to have a lot of info on service/companion animals, and about halfway down there's a link to suppliers of vests. Hope it helps!

riptideselkie said...

Ok I know I just posted, but I've been reading the website that I just posted and it's really got some great info about the definitions of what is a service animal and what is a companion animal, which by the way, apparently companion animals are considered pets and not service animals. Services animals have to be trained for a specific purpose, which directly corresponds to the disability of the person the dog/animal (apparently monkeys are service animals too sometimes) will serve. Also, there are protections in the ADA for service animals. Anyway, it's all in there to read. Just thought it was super interesting and wanted to share.
Hugs again,
Shelle