Sunday, December 03, 2006

Sunday Musings

My sister is still in town and when the phone range this morning I thought it might be her wanting to do breakfast of something. I have not seen her on this visit do I was kinds of waiting for the call. Linda was down to visit with mom. I figured mom took priority and that is cool. I figured also that if Linda wanted to or had the energy to make contact she would.

Realize, I am the only one up and I am working in the computer room inn the far side of the house. So, I am tearing through the house with just my towel on trying desperately to get to the phone before that final ring sends the caller to the message graveyard. However I lucked out and when I picked the phone up I was greeted by the voice of the Sears computer asking me to hold for a very important message about our appliances. I thought about hanging up but decided to hold on and see what the pitch was.

Sears is just round the corner and up the street from us and we have purchased most of our appliances from Sears. I hate the pressure I get from the sales guy to purchase the maintenance package. There is always the point of terror in the back mind of the “what if”. I used to never buy the packages and I rarely had any issues with the products but a couple of times I have been stung of pretty bad. Now, Dianne always buys the maintenance package and this has saved our bacon more then a couple of times over the years we have been together and I have learned from her. Still, I dislike the pressure and the Sunday morning call. I purchase the smallest package I can get away with or I defer to Dianne and that is what I did this morning. The Yahoo wanted to sell me a package which would bring everyone of our appliances up to date and have them end at the same time all for $770.00!! What a joke. They even included the lawnmower—which is about on it’s last wheels. The appliance warranties are quite staggered and are fifty bucks here a hundred there but nicely staggered over a couple of years. I think if we keep the appliance warranties staggered this way we will more likely have funding to renew (a year at a time) when the time comes. I told him to call back in two weeks which I am sure he ram-jetted back into the computer somewhere. Silently there is a clock ticking in some server at Sears central patiently waiting for Sunday morning two weeks from today, when at the appointed minute the servers will kick out my number and the system will dial my phone. I am making a not to myself—maybe I’ll even put the note on my computers internal log to remind me to take the hand set to bed with us two weeks from last night, put the handset between our pillows and quietly let Dianne answer the phone…

No comments: