Monday, December 04, 2006

Birthday!


It’s my number two son’s birthday today, Brooks. Brooks came into my life fourteen years ago when I married his mother. I am so fortunate in that my “step” (I really dislike this term)kids are so terrific. Brooks has always been Mr Action/Mr Cool, with a natural propensity to sports. We as a family enjoyed Brooks play base ball, roller blade and fantasize about paintball. Brooks enjoyed organized sports in ways I have never been able. I was spared having to go to any local ballgames but I have to admit I did get in to going to the local hockey games when Salt Lake got a pro team and arena. Actually, when we first starting attending the hockey games the games were being played at the Old Delta Center. This was my first exposure to professional sports on an on going bases. Brooks patiently explained the game to me more then one times It as the Golden Eagles then the Grizzlies. We got free tickets in those days through the place I worked.

In a perfect world Brooks would first be a military guy of one sort or another and then after that he would be a cop. In fact Brooks favorite Saturday show has always been Cops. However, Brooks loves medicine or the blood and excitement surrounding emergency medicine. But due to injuries and other disabilities this like of work has not been an option. Brooks’best friend is a little guy named Luke. Luke lived in our neighborhood when we moved to Murray years ago. The two boys linked up ad have always been close. In fact Lukes family sort of adopted Brooks. Luke’s immediate family is small but Luke is part of a huge extended family. I think Brooks loves that feeling of connectivity he gets with their fam. Luke’s family has a tradition called the “Opener” a multi-day event where the men father together and for to their deer hunt. I don’t know if they own the property or have just camped there for so long they might as well ( I could be getting this event confused with Fishing seson) and what ensues is a massivie family party. Lots of booze, connecting and story telling and I suppose some of the sport they gathered for in the first place. Luke and brooks became cooks at the Noodle a cutesy family restaurant. Brooks worked weekends and filled in weeknights if needed. The Noodle was Brooks first real job, he did OK. Brooks sells insurance now and seems to be doing well at this occupation too.Brooks is young and busy and we do not see as much of the lad as we would like. Brooks has been great about being round for the big events, Mother day, Christmas and the like.


Brooks is a good son and a good uncle to his niece, Anakah Brooks has health challenges which worry parents but he seems to be getting by. He is twenty-five years old today. We will be going to the Lobster tonight as is the tradition. It will be a fast dinner with Dianne and me and his sister and her family; just touching the bases checking off the milestones.

No comments: