Saturday, December 02, 2006

It's Cold Very Cold


I just turned up the heat again. The thermostat was set to under 70 degrees and I noted that after the sunset the house began to get uncomfortably cold. I held off as long as I could with out donning blankets and such. I was not about to sit and roll round the house in a blanket or coat or whatever so I pumped up the heat. I like the comfort of light and heat on a cold winter night. In fact I did no even leave the house today. Seems like we have everything we need, food and vegatables enough, anyway, to get through the weekend. I still have over three quarters of a tank of gas in the van so really no need to venture out to fill up. Mom is safely hold up at my brothers. I called her today and she seems to be fine, though I have not spoken with Carl but I assume all is well. The little sister who is visiting has not contacted me so I guess is doing OK too. So I am satisfied to just sit in my house read abd write and worry about the up coming visit of Dianne’s mother and sister.

I dislike the cold. I will tolerate the cold for the most part. Like last night. I was driving home from work thinking how nice it will be good to just download from the van scurry inside the house and just unwind from the week. Imagine my surprise as I pulled up to the house and Dianne was sitting outside on the porch waiting my return home. She ran out and got in the van an announced we were going out to dinner to celebrate my getting a raise earlier this week. Dianne was truly excited and I could hardly say “no”. So out we went into the black cold night of a Friday evening. We drove cross our end of the valley to a little Chinese place we have grown fond of. Luckily- for me since I was driving-we were still early enough to beat the “Friday night holiday crowds”. I did OK, I tolerated the cold in and out and I did enjoy being out with Dianne. No grand daughter(s) or kids or anyone else just the two of us a date. We don’t have many and should have more but the cold often decides such things but not last evening.

I hate to boob but we folk who have spinal cord injuries have difficulty staying warm, especially in the winter. I do anyway. Once I get cold I tend to stay cold until I can surround my self with heat, enough heat to bring my body temperature back up to a reasonable, warm temperature like in bed covered up or in a hot bath. I often wonder , when rolling up to the train station, why have not the folks who make power wheelchair not figured out an onboard heater to either pump heater air into the face of the wheelchair user or have some grid running through the seat of the chair which would pull a little current from the battery heat the chair. It seems they have done this in autos—least the Volvos and BMWs. Should be doable for wheelchair folk.

No comments: