Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I Love My Dog But


6
We have now had possession of our dog Ginger just over a week and we have been extremely lucky. Ginger is an nine almost ten week old vizsla. She no longer cries when we put her down for the night. She sleeps through the night and continues her lessons at potty training. The house braking is coming along and it seems we are having less and less accidents even in the super cold and snow Salt Lake is currently experiencing. Ginger will usually hold her water, if we see her squatting, until we can send her out side. This is no small feat given all the snow on our deck. Ginger always looks at us as if we are crazy but she will go out and do her business. So far I have only really rolled over her once. It’s a good thing she is still developing and has rubbery bones. My chair is massive and she was in back of me and I rolled over her mouth. There was impressive yelp but she seems ok now an gives the power chair wide birth. Ginger was distant the remainder of the night but was jumping on me again by the next day.

Cinnamon our last dog was about two years old and house trained when we got her. Ever thing about Cinn was grand, no house mistakes, no puddles or messes…ever. Cinn if anything was a bit over protective, a runner always was, leave the door open a crack and she as gone and rook forever to get her back. She barked at everyone ad was over enthusiastic on her greetings. Cinn was a dream compared to Ginger. Ginger is a baby—she needs tons of attention and when she is not afforded this attention Ginger tends to tantrum. Ginger nips hand and feet. Luckily for us her teeth are still her baby teeth but still hurts. She is a chewer too. Sunday she was behind my main desktop for a second and my mouse stopped working. I use a track ball and the track balls, for me, are expensive. I found about a half an hour after the track ball stopped working that the cord had been bitten in two! Just like little kids I cannot be mad at Ginger, I should have know I cannot leave these wires out where she can chomp through them. What Dianne and I have to do is puppy proof the house. Leather jackets, shoes, especially shoes, newspapers must be placed our of Ginger’s reach one way or another and doors to rooms must remain shut, now at all times. The deadly material under the kitchen sink which smell so good must now be moved so Ginger does not partake.

I was able to check on the INTERNET today, the first chance I have had about vislas. The visla are smart intense animals, highly trainable. So, I guess we can start training her now! She should be lighter then Cinnamon, who was muscular and solid. She likes to be free like cinnamon too. She hates her cage and always protests when she in incarcerated, usually. But last night she did this massive ating out thing of nipping and yapping and tearing up newspaper until for time out we threw her in her cage and she immediately was quite, plopped her head on her pillow and watched TV. So, she wanted to be in her cage is all we can figure out either that or she just wanted to watch Fox.

No comments: