Friday, December 29, 2006

Window Fourteen

I had really expected my lost wallet to have surfaced by this time but alas no way. So, I had to get out in public today and replace my drivers licenses and get another sticker( which was in my lost wallet)for my train pass or I will be sorry Tuesday.

The DMV is never a place where anyone wants to go to unless it's for your first license mostly because the individual does not know any better. Today was no exception; the last working day of the year and the place crowded beyond report. The DMV is an interesting place, to say` the least. The DMV is one of the few places in our culture people from every walk of life come together. The poor and the wealthy, brown, black and white, Christian and Mosley and everything in between. I could not believe the lines as I entered. There were signs everywhere exhorting you to “take an application and a number fill it out and wait.” Some folks had been at the DMV three hours. I was confused I always get confused in these type of situations. The applications were on shelves which were too high for me to reach. So I motored up to one of the clerks and asked for an assist. He jumped to my request because he knew the DMV was in the wrong. They should have had access. But I could feel the fish eyed looks I was getting from the poor souls standing in line. The clerk shoved an application in my hand and told me to fill it out. This was will and good but I did not have anything to write on, everyone else had nice little flat surfaces to write on, courtesy of the State—another violation. So, I put the power chair in gear and rolled up to the front again and asked for an accommodation. This time I went to a different harried clerk. She looked when I cleared my throat and I informed her I needed a place where I can fill out my application. When she finally focused her eyes on me and saw I was in a wheelchair she just said..”hold on a minute, you need window fourteen, I'll take you over.

Window Fourteen was all the way across the crowded room. I followed this State employee dutifully as she threaded her way through this hodge podge of humanity and soon we were at Window Fourteen. Window 14 was a ADA specification window built lower for people in wheelchairs. The clerk there was named John and John was just getting finished with an elderly driver who needed to sit to fill out his forms. When the old guy was done I was called up to the window. John told me to fill out the form and he would be right with me. (Remember I am a quad, I write with two hands and if my writing is to read I have to write slow and deliberate. Luckily John noticed this and John also realized if he was going to get out of there for his early lunch he had better fill out the form himself.

I was amazed at how fast the process goes when the worker is motivated. I payed my $13.00 and he took my picture and I had my working temporary license and I was gone. More fish eyes as I left building. They were pissed but I was out and gone and I would never seen of those folks again. I would have been pissed too but I am not proud and when I see an opening or opportunity I take it.


No comments: