Monday, September 09, 2019

Inclusion At The Lobster






Monday This is been one of those mini big days for me. I really didn't have anything on my agenda today except to go through the materials that we collected over the weekend from the old house. Today was review, separate, evaluate, trash. This is the blog entry in an of itself so enough said with that. But I'll have to dance around the edges a little bit just because it sets this scene for the end of this blog. I didn't know how traumatic the event would be if at all I really didn't even know what was in the boxes which been set outside Saturday to be picked up. We worked at this project about 3 ½ hours seemed like a lot longer for some reason. Carl bringing out boxes and bags of stuff open them up that led me sift through the items. Even though physically this is not very hard work I felt exhausted and I felt I needed to award myself, give myself a treat for doing this job directly and in a timely fashion… terribly adult. I was getting hungry by 5:30 PM and I decided that my reward is going to be heading over to red lobster (just down the street from my brother's home). I would have to pass the establishment if I was going to get to the bus/train station which I would need to get home. I couldn't justify a whole meal not that I worked hard enough to deserve a whole meal. I figured I just got a bowl of clam chowder in the famous red lobster biscuits that would be enough. Not so much from a financial standpoint but from a caloric standpoint as well. The trek over to Red Lobster was uneventful, thank goodness, there is some spooky places where I had to cross streets at the bases of ramps from the interstate. It can get quite confusing trying to run the gauntlet of curb cut outs in walk lights and making sure that these people coming fresh off the interstate not only see you but see that you are protected by the walk light. You can't take anything for granted with these maniac drivers—I'm not trying to be cruel I'm just stating it like it is. It was weird rolling into the old lobster. We ate there is a family a lot when the kids were living with us, Dianne and I ate there is a couple a lot when we lived together in the house on Utahna. I was not a huge fan of their food are there pricing but it was a nice place to wind up a week or weekend. I was always kind of freaked by how many seniors are there when we would eat as well as blue-collar white color wannabes. The place is kind of embarrassing but now I did get ways of nostalgia. I was shocked when I was seated. They actually had tables with cutouts for wheelchair person who could totally roll under. This was new to me, it'd been years since I'd last been in to a Red Lobster. And then I noticed something I didn't think I would ever see but something I've always talked about. There is actually a section of our that had been cut out and lowered for people in wheelchairs! Inclusion! I didn't think I would ever see this and to see this first at a red lobster. From the days at Borah high when I so wanted to be part of the conversation at the trophy cabinet for all the jocks stood around and talk to restaurants and bars with high tables and height counters were people could sit and talk to people with disabilities are way low could not be part of the conversation. I was blown away and I still am kind as I think back on it. I rolled up and sat at the table fitting in for the first time in all the time to go to the red lobster. This I wish Dianne had been with me to see how neat this was how cool this was. I may have to invite her out just to show her this neat piece of inclusion.…

No comments: