Friday, September 20, 2019

Lap Basket Blues



It is said confession is good for the soul and it seems all I do on this blog is confess, confess, confess. I can start out by confessing I have become quite addicted to Walmart grocery and department store. There is one just a few blocks up the street from my apartment complex, the market is a bit out of the way so I really haven't gone there a lot to do shopping until the last couple weeks. They have a smaller competitor just a half a block from the apartments which I've tended to support but that's changing. Maybe it's the bananas that just weren't green enough or the grapes which just weren't firm enough or maybe it's because they don't have seven bone roasts are commonly called by me anyway blade roasts. I didn't even like blade roasts for the longest time preferring to get roasts that were tied up with strings. But for some reason, maybe it was because I couldn't find the seven bone roasts anymore at my local store that I began to desire them. Now Walmart grocery seems to me huge but more than that I'm impressed with the quality of their produce. I like getting my bananas green allowing them to ripen over the week and not be black by the time Friday and Saturday rollaround. I like their butcher shop and the quality of the meats. And even though I do not eat bread anymore like I used to I do like to is see what they offer through their artesian bread is just beautiful stuff. Though I do not buy a lot of their department store stuff I love rolling through their appliance sections and some of their clothing offerings are also intriguing to me. They even have a McDonald's.

Many times in riding route 54I get off at the intersection of 5400 S. and Redwood Road across the street from Walmart. This makes it kind of easy to – over to Walmart for a quick pick up of items needed. Trouble is I end up being covered in double bagged groceries. Just awkward and often rubs on the wheels in the doorways trying to get on the bus for the ride home. Walmart has beautiful large lap baskets. Just noticed them in the last couple of weeks. The baskets are so large I can get everything that I need in the basket with no bags hanging over the side of the chair. So on a whim last week I just had the checker put my eye is back in the basket when I went through. She looked at me a little odd and said you know that's can set off the alarm when it goes through the door and I looked at her and nodded my head in agreement. She didn't say I couldn't have the basket just that it set off an alarm. I figured I would just – through the doorway and out the alarm go off. This is what I did. I rationalized that this was not a theft because I would bring the basket back and shop again. Which I've done three times and each time the checker tells me the alarm will go off. I don't know why perhaps I have angels working on my side are other but an alarm does not go off no one's drug me back into the store. Now though my conscience is beginning to play on me. I hate to give up my blue basket from Walmart but perhaps it's best. The baskets are great their huge there exactly what I need for my shopping needs. I can certainly go through the pathetic dance of offering to purchase a basket or maybe find out where I can purchase a basket not necessarily a Walmart basket but the baskets are certainly big, certainly beautiful and they are certainly handy for me to use…

No comments: