Saturday, September 28, 2019

Van Gone

Russ and me sitting in front of my van for the last time



I said goodbye to my van today. As you know I've had my van with me for the past couple of years parked in the back lot of my apartment complex. You can't keep the vehicle back there if it's derelict my van was not derelict. Probably this last summer, once again, my van stepped up and passed safety emissions inspection and got licensed I didn't ensure the vehicle after a certain point because it was just a waste of money. I can't drive and there's no one really to drive me without a lot of planning which really hasn't happened enough to make ownership of this vehicle justifiable.

I was really quite pleased when Dianne contacted me to see if I would consider letting the vehicle go to her contractor. I don't know how the knowledge that I had a van came around or about that somehow she must've told him that she would see what I would say. The van is a great vehicle actually. The vans got some dings and other issues that would've really made it difficult for me to, in good faith and disclosure sell the vehicle. So when Dianne advised me that I could give this vehicle away to someone who could quite honestly use it I was overjoyed. I was not going to have to worry about the vehicle over another winter and then have to relicense again next summer. Granted, I got to feel the van was my friend. I know, the vehicle was an inanimate object – – will not inanimate the van actually got around better than I do. And even though the vehicle was cold steel and plastic I love sitting by the vehicle in the summer spring and fall and read my books and leaned back in touch the back of my head to the side of the van.

It's just an inanimate object, I understand this, but I was pleased to meet the new “parents”. She works at a bank and has for like 27 years and he is a private contractor someone who comes in and works On your house to do the things you cannot do our why not do. Like hang doors, but in plywood make things better than they were, honestly. This contractor needs a vehicle. I could tell by his reaction to meeting the van that he will treat the van right. The contractor knows what he's doing he knows how to keep the van going, he knows how to repair this and that. He totally appreciated everything about the van that we showed him particularly the wheelchair lift and some of the other things inside the van. They are a cute couple. They said they would even keep the lifted the van to transport me when we want to get together for lunch or dinner or whatever. I don't know if I truly believe this is certainly nice of them to say and I think they really believe that themselves. However, in all reality, work vehicles get messy very quickly especially if you're busy. But we'll see I'm just pleased that the van is going to a good home and well drive out the remainder of its days provided a happy service to a happy couple…

No comments: