Monday, July 21, 2008

The amazing Mr Black

Today has been a manic Monday—something’s in the air, the hot flat stagnant air of summer. A low ceiling of battleship gray clouds compress the atmosphere. The temperature is a low 81 degrees with a grudge if you look a thermometer cross eyed it will give you ten degrees just for spite. But I have been inside all day looking out, wishing I was out freezing in the meat locker of an office I inhabit. Frost bight technology.

The phones have been ringing steady all day. I cannot figure it. Righteous calls almost everyone even Mr Black, who sashayed into my office a little after lunch and took an hour of me and Tory’s time. Mr black was dressed in cowboy hat,vest and chaps, real chaps and black cowboy boots. And there was a 12 inch bowie knife I did not see. My buddy Frank in the other office saw the knife tucked into the back of Mr Black’s belt. Not that knowing about the knife would have made much difference one way or the other.

Mr. Black did not frighten me as much annoy me. How dare he interrupt my Monday with his disabled needs and Mr. Black has a lot of needs. He is married to a women with significant disabilities but who did not join him with his visit to our office. They are currently living in a flop hotel and need s to find low-income housing of some sort. I am able to council but I don’t council as part of this job.

In the course of the hour Mr Black was much more transparent then I wished revealing extended periods of drug addiction, psychiatric incarcerations and battles in the court for his children. Mr Black teared up a number of times talking about his wife and life. We listened to Mr Black for an hour an finally it was time for me to do the “walk to the door” trip. I typed a couple resources for him to check out and gave Mr Black a brochure to my office so he had something to hold on to.

It’s the Days of 47 a giant parade will course through downtown Salt Lake on Thursday and there is a major Rodeo happening in the Energy Center(old Delta) center In the course of the conversation with Mr Black. The who county takes on the western flavor, even bus drivers wear western garb. Mr Black, explained that he was desperate to find employment even if the work would be volunteering. I am hoping the get up Mr Black was wearing was in hopes of getting employed or even volunteering at the rodeo.

Mr Black teared up once again as I began to walk him toward the front door. He shook my hand and thanked me profusely for taking time out of my day. I did not do anything but listen and give a few ideas and a list of possible resources. I truly wish I could have done more. I best be careful for what I wish for I am sure I have not seen the last of Mr. Black.

No comments: