Tuesday, July 01, 2008

I Think I'll Pass...

I have been keeping an eye on the whole economic thing . I have been watching Market tumble and the crises of the world increase and the U.S.’s involvement the whole mess. I have even felt the stress at home as Dianne has been on disability and have dealt with her challenges medical and legal and somehow I have felt removed from the international crises or any crises for that matter but something has happened and suddenly, yesterday, I have began to feel financial pressure which I can only guess is directly to the war and the ever increasing ripple effect emanating from that conflict.

I use public transit for more then 90% of my transportation needs but I do keep a wheelchair lift equipped van which I drive. I own this vehicle outright so the only payment I suffer is general vehicle upkeep, license and taxes and of course gasoline. As I have said, I have not paid much attention to the price of gas as the price has crept ever skyward, even though I have paid gas “fill-ups” of 60-70 dollars figuring, ‘ well, that’s the price of doing business.” But I paid the bill and felt lucky I could, but did not think twice about it. I have felt this way, I think, because I fill up with gas but once a month if that much. I choose not to drive because I don’t really enjoy driving, driving is work and its dangerous and now expensive. So, I have not really registered the rise in price until last Sunday when I filled up. The price had just gone up again, I bet by almost a dollar since the previous time I had filled my tank. Sunday was the first I had filled up since the price here had topped $4.00 a gallon. When I drove out of Sam’s Club on Sunday I had purchased 23 gallons of gas which was normal but the cost was now $93.00 and some change almost $100.00!!! The oil crises was finally really beginning to hit home. I sat back and stared at the receipt but swallowed the pill and drove home. Still, I knew this gas would last me a month and I can deal with the payment. However, this week the safety inspection came due, I have a crack in my windshield which is becoming major( but I was passed) but all toll the event cost me over $100.00.

Yesterday on my vacation Dianne asked that I go to the market and do some shopping. No problem and I had been wanting and planning to stop at a new market which just opened in my neighborhood. Before I left, however, I checked our accounts and was shocked to see where there were—I was scared for a second which quickly boiled down to concern but after I had done the shopping, I sighed, turned the van round and drove back home. Why go to a market, even just to look, especially just to look if I don’t have any money?

No comments: